Kai Nacua, best Polynesian football player?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Kai Nacua, best Polynesian football player?

Post by hawkwing »

He's up for the distinction.

a1247
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Kai Nacua, best Polynesian football player?

Post by a1247 »

It's a nice that he's being mentioned and it's great for this staff and there future recruiting efforts with the poly kids. But this award will be going to Sefo Liufau. He and his Colorado teammates have had an insane year.

AmmonCougar1
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by AmmonCougar1 »

Not gonna lie. I don't get why this type of award exists. Who on the team is up for Caucasian College Football Player of the year? I have nothing against any other races but why keep creating stuff to emphasize the difference in skin tone or heritage? Here in Idaho Falls there is a Latino Soccer League. Guess how well it would go over if some of us Caucasians started a Caucasian Soccer League. (Dont' start with the jokes about how bad we would be in comparison. That's not the point here) Go Kai. I hope he wins!

Go Cougs!!!
J. Child
Ammon, ID

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

All religions are great, but Mormons love cheering on other Mormons. Same thing.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Mars wrote:All religions are great, but Mormons love cheering on other Mormons. Same thing.
Mars, I do NOT see it as the same thing.

I agree with you AmmonCougar1.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

I have no problem with minority groups recognizing themselves. I think it helps bring them into the game which is a positive.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

hawkwing wrote:I have no problem with minority groups recognizing themselves. I think it helps bring them into the game which is a positive.
By "bring them into the game", do you mean it makes admirers of these candidates more likely to get into football? Just what we need, more reason for kids to think they'll get into football, be lauded with fame and glory and ride into the retirement sunset after a nice long NFL career. I taught scouts in Pennsylvania and had 3 kids think they were going to the NFL or NBA. These were 15-16 year olds who could NOT dribble and didn't have a snowball's chance in hell at getting onto the high school team. But they assured me that the NFL/NBA would see how good they were.

Sports are great if you're not trying to make a living from it. It's why this whole paying the athletes thing strikes me as silly. I understand the argument that if a University is making millions that the sports team responsible for those profits could justify receiving some of those funds. But kids aren't in universities on full ride scholarships to simply make money by playing a game on Saturday, at least, if they're smart that shouldn't be their focus. If that's why they are in school (and again their banking on that first round signing bonus) they are as dumb as my scouts were in PA.

I appreciate Kai Nacua being on this list. But I think the list in unnecessary. It's another feel good award that one group of people can get away with giving to themselves. As AmmonCougar pointed out, can you imagine the outrage if there was a best white college player award? By having this award the polynesian community is segregating itself. If America and college sports is really committed to ending racial inequality, they need to get rid of this type of stuff. OR, they need to allow stuff like "best white player award" which would just be downright stupid, right? What % of white players are there in NCAA football? maybe 10%? Hey congrats kid, you were the best player of 10% of players.

I just don't see the point of having this award.

pikoi
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by pikoi »

"Y'all don't know what it's like, being male, middle-class, and white." SMH.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

BroncoBot wrote:
hawkwing wrote:I have no problem with minority groups recognizing themselves. I think it helps bring them into the game which is a positive.
By "bring them into the game", do you mean it makes admirers of these candidates more likely to get into football? Just what we need, more reason for kids to think they'll get into football, be lauded with fame and glory and ride into the retirement sunset after a nice long NFL career. I taught scouts in Pennsylvania and had 3 kids think they were going to the NFL or NBA. These were 15-16 year olds who could NOT dribble and didn't have a snowball's chance in hell at getting onto the high school team. But they assured me that the NFL/NBA would see how good they were.

Sports are great if you're not trying to make a living from it. It's why this whole paying the athletes thing strikes me as silly. I understand the argument that if a University is making millions that the sports team responsible for those profits could justify receiving some of those funds. But kids aren't in universities on full ride scholarships to simply make money by playing a game on Saturday, at least, if they're smart that shouldn't be their focus. If that's why they are in school (and again their banking on that first round signing bonus) they are as dumb as my scouts were in PA.

I appreciate Kai Nacua being on this list. But I think the list in unnecessary. It's another feel good award that one group of people can get away with giving to themselves. As AmmonCougar pointed out, can you imagine the outrage if there was a best white college player award? By having this award the polynesian community is segregating itself. If America and college sports is really committed to ending racial inequality, they need to get rid of this type of stuff. OR, they need to allow stuff like "best white player award" which would just be downright stupid, right? What % of white players are there in NCAA football? maybe 10%? Hey congrats kid, you were the best player of 10% of players.

I just don't see the point of having this award.
Even kids who are sure fire NFL players sometimes don't make it. Taysom Hill probably would have been a 1st round pick if he had not had so many injuries. 3 injuries and the 26 year old Hill will probably not get drafted.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

I don't think the reason to play sports should be to get to the pros for any player. I think playing sports as a youth encourages fitness, teamwork, and a host of other skills and benefits that are important for young people. Anything that encourages more kids to play sports is a good thing in my opinion.

If that includes best Polynesian FB player awards, and best math major FB player awards, whatever appeals to more young people to get them off their couches and out learning life skills the better.