Are you in yet?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Are you in yet?

Post by Brayden Green »

Taysom is objectively so bad. Anyone watching this game (Cincinnati) has to see that. He has had all day to throw and is underthrowing and overthrowing everyone. The coaches are in CYA mode not putting in Tanner (who would look so much better) to not prove they made the wrong choice in the first place. It's disgusting to watch.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

KingCoug
All-American

Re: Are you in?

Post by KingCoug »

At this point I don't know why fans are wasting any more energy on the QB controversy. We're on the soft part of our schedule, the last 3 games at home. Like I said before, barring injury, Taysom will start the rest of the way. And then he'll be gone. I think, or at least hope, that Tanner has watched and learned all he can of Detmer's offense from the sidelines. That should pay off in the future.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Re: Are you in yet?

Post by stuckinbig10country »

Taysom was 7/7 on third downs.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Yeah, I don't get this. Taysom will win out, or Tanner will. Both are more than capable against the remaining 3 teams. Taysom actually had a pretty good game vs Cinci.

What I don't understand is why the Ty Detmer offense has such a hard time getting into the endzone from <5 yards away. Can't believe all the times we've been stood up at the goal line.

Here's an idea, why not a jump pass on the Utah 2 point conversion (or ever).

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I wanted Tanner from the beginning, but the coaches went with Taysom. I was ok with the decision then and even though he has played poorly in some games, he never played poorly enough to be benched. He still hasn't.

At this point there is no reason to make a move.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Isola
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Isola »

It was frustrating to see so many throws miss their guys, and deep balls that were so under thrown. Personally I think Tanner may have been better this year, but I'm over it. No good games from Mangum prove that he would have done better than Hill this year. It is unproductive and unnecessary to pretend to know the answer to the "what ifs".

When Mangum is successful next year I am going to chalk it up to him settling into Detmer's system and the coaches getting the program headed in the right direction. I've enjoyed the Taysom era and I'm not going to end it with a bad taste in my mouth.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

I still think poor offensive line and receiver play is the reason for the throw games struggles. Tanner looked really good last year when his bad throws were caught by receivers who were held accountable by their coach to catch the ball if they were thrown at. Last years offensive line was so much better than this years. They looked really good against Mich State but have been blown up by every defensive line other than them. It is really disappointing to see them digress since that performance. Both these groups will need to dramatically improve next year in order for Tanner to be successful. I can't wait to see who will be blamed next year if the Throw game continues to struggle since we can't blame Ty legend and Tanner will be playing.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

I will have no problem blaming Ty Legend if the offense continues to be vanilla. What will be our excuse next season? Oh, we're settling in a new QB, he needs to learn the offense first hand, give him 5-6 game experience with the offense...sigh...

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

byufan4ever wrote:I will have no problem blaming Ty Legend if the offense continues to be vanilla. What will be our excuse next season? Oh, we're settling in a new QB, he needs to learn the offense first hand, give him 5-6 game experience with the offense...sigh...
The offense is still painfully conservative/vanilla. I don't know if it is because Ty doesn't want to introduce too much too early to them, or if he is afraid of trying things because the offensive line sucks. They rarely take chances. BYU blows out Cincinnati if the offense actually opened up. Course I guess in order to throw for 300 yards per game, you have to have receivers who will sell out in order to go get a ball thrown to them and this years group has not shown they are willing to do that. I watch a lot of college football and it is shocking how soft BYU's receivers are. Watch a pro game and you will see why Austin Collie was the only receiver from BYU to play pro in the last 30 years. (not counting tight ends).

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

frdbtr wrote:Watch a pro game and you will see why Austin Collie was the only receiver from BYU to play pro in the last 30 years. (not counting tight ends).
:skeptic:

Off the top of my head, in the last 30 years:

Todd Watkins had 3 seasons in the NFL.
Kaipo Maguire had at least 2 season in the NFL.
One of the Bellini brothers (Mark?) played WR with the Colts a couple seasons.
Margin Hooks had a season with the Dolphins.
Reno Mahe was a WR at BYU before his NFL/gas-stealing/coaching days.
Ever heard of Glen Kozlowski?

There may be others, but those are the ones I can remember.