Anae to Texas Tech? TAKE HIM AWAY FROM US

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
cougarsunited
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Anae to Texas Tech? TAKE HIM AWAY FROM US

Post by cougarsunited »

Confirming that rumor would put the crown on a promising off-season. That guy minimized BYU offense to the point it almost hurt. Not only is he conservative and highly predictable on offense, he takes minimal risk, which, if he does, usually results in dilemma. A shame to what BYU offense stands and is known for. If I hear one more time how terrific BYU is on 3rd down I am going to throw up. Anybody realize that our 3rd down conversion is among the highest in FBS because we SUCK on 1st and 2nd down? How about being the nation's leading 2nd AND 3rd down conversion team?
And lastly (this applies to Bronco as well) we play College Football in the MWC... not NFL, not BCS- running up the score when you can is part of becoming a national powerhouse.

See ya Anae and let's get some fire back into BYU offense

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Anae to Texas Tech? TAKE HIM AWAY FROM US

Post by BoiseBYU »

cougarsunited wrote:Confirming that rumor would put the crown on a promising off-season. That guy minimized BYU offense to the point it almost hurt. Not only is he conservative and highly predictable on offense, he takes minimal risk, which, if he does, usually results in dilemma. A shame to what BYU offense stands and is known for. If I hear one more time how terrific BYU is on 3rd down I am going to throw up. Anybody realize that our 3rd down conversion is among the highest in FBS because we SUCK on 1st and 2nd down? How about being the nation's leading 2nd AND 3rd down conversion team?
And lastly (this applies to Bronco as well) we play College Football in the MWC... not NFL, not BCS- running up the score when you can is part of becoming a national powerhouse.

Trashing BYU's third down conversion rate because we don't get it on first or second down makes no sense. Anae did a solid job with the assets we had this year. I hope he stays. If he does not I wish him the best and am sure we can bring in someone who will do the job. But to trash the man because he did not call razzle dazzle and throw the bomb every other play is just so off base....

cougarsunited
Freshman

Post by cougarsunited »

BoiseBYU wrote:
cougarsunited wrote:Confirming that rumor would put the crown on a promising off-season. That guy minimized BYU offense to the point it almost hurt. Not only is he conservative and highly predictable on offense, he takes minimal risk, which, if he does, usually results in dilemma. A shame to what BYU offense stands and is known for. If I hear one more time how terrific BYU is on 3rd down I am going to throw up. Anybody realize that our 3rd down conversion is among the highest in FBS because we SUCK on 1st and 2nd down? How about being the nation's leading 2nd AND 3rd down conversion team?

Trashing BYU's third down conversion rate because we don't get it on first or second down makes no sense. Anae did a solid job with the assets we had this year. I hope he stays. If he does not I wish him the best and am sure we can bring in someone who will do the job. But to trash the man because he did not call razzle dazzle and throw the bomb every other play is just so off base....
I am not trashing BYU's 3rd down conversion, I realize it's the best in College Football- I am saying though that more needs to be donw on the fisrt two downs and that Anae is very limited in the options of plays he calls. Having said that, I like the guy, I've spoken with him and I want nothing but the best for him.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Anae isn't perfect, but he is solid. We've won 10+ games in a row for 4 years under him, a first at BYU.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

Ok, teams don't get 50%+ 3rd down conversion rates because they suck on 1st and 2nd down. That just isn't logical. 3rd and 10 or longer is too difficult to pick up consistantly.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Your analysis of third down conversion rate makes no sense. It's a rate, not a quantification.

If BYU converts 5/10 third down conversions on the season, the convert 50%. If they convert 500,000/1,000,000 on the season, they convert 50%. What they convert on first and second down has zilch to do with what they convert on third down. Do you have any statistics to back up your claim that BYU ranks poorly in first- or second-down conversions rates (stats I have never seen before)?

If anything, a good third-down conversion rate is indicative of success on first and second down. You are more likely to convert on third-and-short than third and long, so if anything, a high third-down-conversion rate works against your criticism.

cougarsunited
Freshman

Post by cougarsunited »

snoscythe wrote:Your analysis of third down conversion rate makes no sense. It's a rate, not a quantification.

If BYU converts 5/10 third down conversions on the season, the convert 50%. If they convert 500,000/1,000,000 on the season, they convert 50%. What they convert on first and second down has zilch to do with what they convert on third down. Do you have any statistics to back up your claim that BYU ranks poorly in first- or second-down conversions rates (stats I have never seen before)?

If anything, a good third-down conversion rate is indicative of success on first and second down. You are more likely to convert on third-and-short than third and long, so if anything, a high third-down-conversion rate works against your criticism.
Point taken- I have no stats, I've only heard a mention of it, other than that you're exactly right. Still beside the point that BYU is not doing on offense what we should do and are capable of. Like I said, I like Anae, he is by no means bad, but I simply expect more from a BYU offense, we should be lighting up opponents endzones.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

My only criticism of Anae is in-game adjustments. I think he has a very successful, prolific offense, but when his scripted game-plan bogs down, he has not shown the ability to successfully go off script.

He gets by against inferior teams, but when a good defense stymies his initial plan, the game is over for BYU offensively.

UVACoug
BLUEshirt

Post by UVACoug »

When has BYU's offense ever been as efficient as it is right now? What do you expect from him?

gmj81
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by gmj81 »

snoscythe wrote:My only criticism of Anae is in-game adjustments. I think he has a very successful, prolific offense, but when his scripted game-plan bogs down, he has not shown the ability to successfully go off script.

He gets by against inferior teams, but when a good defense stymies his initial plan, the game is over for BYU offensively.
This would seem to me to be the only really fair criticism of Anae. I've noticed this too. That said he still only has 5 years as an OC and has arguably improved every year. Not to mention, he's a fantastic teacher. Most criticism of Anae is unfounded. Nobody is perfect, especially when playing against good teams.

I don't think we've lost any games really that we should have won during the Bronco/Anae reign except for the Tulsa, FSU, and '08 'Zona games. But I would argue neither of those games were a problem with the offense. You could make a case for the '08 puke and TCU games but those teams were both very good even though I think if we were playing our best game we could have beat them.
Last edited by gmj81 on Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.