When Do You Play Mangum?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.

When do you plan to use your #2 Mangum?

Give him at least one series per game
34%
Let him run real plays at the end of blowouts (no new plays)
26%
Let him run out the clock at the end of wins to protect TH
5%
Let him hold on FG attempts
3%
Don't play him unless Taysom is injured and a winning season is possible/already in the bag
32%

Total votes: 38

Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: When Do You Play Mangum?

Post by Schmoe »

I think you play Mangum if you need to. If it's garbage time, he doesn't get any better by being in there anyway, use Hoge. That way, you CAN still redshirt Mangum if you want to at the end of the season. If Taysom goes down, you burn that redshirt to the ground.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
HoosierCougar
Junior

Post by HoosierCougar »

Start TM vs USU

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

You play him often. Probably should play a little every game. The coaching staff knows Tanner is gone after next season anyway....he's gonna play quite a bit this season whether or not Taysom gets hurt.

BOID
Junior

Post by BOID »

Try to redshirt Tanner if you can. If BYU is undefeated or has one loss and a chance for a NY6 bowl, but Loses Taysom with one or two games remaining, then you could give Tanner the option: Do you want to burn one of your years of eligibility for this historical moment? Of course, he's going to say yes, for no one would want the legacy of shrinking back from that.

That said, I don't really subscribe to the idea that Mangum would need continuous live game experience to keep his skills and confidence. Max Hall did quite well leading the scout team for a year. I don't think Mangum would leave early for the NFL either. His family background is true blue. He's not like Jake Heaps, bringing his personal entourage of career advisers, and viewing BYU as merely a stepping stone and an early out.

That also having been said, I think that everyone should realize that Detmer was going to start the best QB. If Taysom is throwing like he did at Houston in 2013, and like he was at Nebraska in 2015, while having all of his running prowess back, then he is a juggernaut, unmatched by any. Mangum is a great QB, and BYU is fortunate to have him. Still, how can you not start Herculese on your team, simply because you can't keep him as long as others?

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Tanner is still the better thrower. I would be concerned if we lost Jamaal again.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

BOID wrote:Try to redshirt Tanner if you can. If BYU is undefeated or has one loss and a chance for a NY6 bowl, but Loses Taysom with one or two games remaining, then you could give Tanner the option: Do you want to burn one of your years of eligibility for this historical moment? Of course, he's going to say yes, for no one would want the legacy of shrinking back from that.

That said, I don't really subscribe to the idea that Mangum would need continuous live game experience to keep his skills and confidence. Max Hall did quite well leading the scout team for a year. I don't think Mangum would leave early for the NFL either. His family background is true blue. He's not like Jake Heaps, bringing his personal entourage of career advisers, and viewing BYU as merely a stepping stone and an early out.

That also having been said, I think that everyone should realize that Detmer was going to start the best QB. If Taysom is throwing like he did at Houston in 2013, and like he was at Nebraska in 2015, while having all of his running prowess back, then he is a juggernaut, unmatched by any. Mangum is a great QB, and BYU is fortunate to have him. Still, how can you not start Herculese on your team, simply because you can't keep him as long as others?
Every argument given for not playing him is based on him staying beyond next year. He is not staying beyond next year. He would have been drafted last year had he decided to leave after his freshman year.

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

stuckinbig10country wrote:
BOID wrote:Try to redshirt Tanner if you can. If BYU is undefeated or has one loss and a chance for a NY6 bowl, but Loses Taysom with one or two games remaining, then you could give Tanner the option: Do you want to burn one of your years of eligibility for this historical moment? Of course, he's going to say yes, for no one would want the legacy of shrinking back from that.

Every argument given for not playing him is based on him staying beyond next year. He is not staying beyond next year. He would have been drafted last year had he decided to leave after his freshman year.
Just like we all "knew" that Taysom was not coming back this year (myself included).........

Tanner is going to decide when he wants to declare for the draft regardless, but there is no need to burn his eligibility unless it will have an impact on wins and losses for this year. Just in case.

Garbage time hand offs to running backs is not going to do anything to prepare Tanner for starting again next year. If he is needed to help win a football game this year, absolutely you play him.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

Whether Tanner is redshirted or not is up to him and the coaches. If he doesn't play and wants that year back then get it. Right now, Tanner does not want to redshirt and the coaches don't want to redshirt him so whether we on this board think that is a bad idea is all moot.

BOID
Junior

Post by BOID »

If Tanner doesn't want to red shirt, then more power to him. If that's the case, and if it were me coaching (fantasy scenario), then I would play him whenever the win is no longer in doubt, and sooner than that if Taysom's health is in doubt. And, not just play him, but give him the full play book, not just garbage time plays.

cougarnerd
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by cougarnerd »

Don't run a 2-QB system where the team has to adjust to each, then switch back. From what I've heard, Taysom has come equal to or better than Tanner in passing. If he looks like an older, more mobile Tanner (but chooses not to run excessively), I think he has a maximum chance of playing 13 (hopefully 14) games this year. Play Tanner at the end of the wins when we're ahead enough and close enough to 0:00. Let him continue to get better in preparation for next year. But I agree that Taysom should be the starter against Arizona.

LOYAL STRONG & TRUE