And Now It Comes to This

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

And Now It Comes to This

Post by stuckinbig10country »

BYU is clearly the number 1 choice for inclusion into the Big 12. The data shows it. The networks know it. Even the bigger schools in the conference know it. It seems that Texas and Oklahoma are/were both on BYU's side...early. I believe the choices were BYU and Cincinnati early on.

Problem 1-Texas politics. The Texas Governor, and Lt Governor (I know, most Lt Governor's are just a figurehead, but it's different in Texas) both come out and say expansion is a non-starter. Univ of Texas normally wouldn't care about UH at all, but there's a sweet piece of land that the UT system wants to develop in Houston, and now there is a clear quid pro quo going on. Oklahoma really likes Cincy and BYU, but will come off one of them.

Problem 2-Given that BYU is clearly the leader in all the measurable categories, the attacks are now in the unmeasurable categories. Title IX/Honor Code issue and the ever popular LGBT attacks. In this sense, the HC needs an amnesty clause...and even though people might abuse it, there clearly should be an amnesty clause for reporting sexual assault. Now, as has been pointed out, the story that ran in the Trib wasn't telling the whole story (ie, the Title IX office wasn't who told the HC, it was the police department), but any confusion here needs to be cleared up. The church isn't budging on the LGBT issue. It's just not happening.

That last issue is what will lead to the end of BYU athletics as we know it. I could very easily see the LGBT issue cause the NCAA to put pressure on BYU. I also see several member schools pushing to remove the no-Sunday protection too. The world is becoming way to secular to accept these "crazy" Mormons.

Also, if I'm the Big 12, I'd be wondering if BYU and the church is really committed to the sports programs. They've already shut them down at their other 2 schools. They know that the church marches to their own drum...what if they get in the Big 12 and 3 years down the road, the church closes down sports.

Of course, the last 2 paragraphs are my opinion.