2016 BYU Coaching Staff

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: 2016 BYU Coaching Staff

Post by scott715 »

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=38314018&nid=2 ... hing-staff" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Grades of the coaching staff.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Kind of pointless to grade the coaches before they've done anything. At best this is grading them on their hype.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I'm okay with it. I agree with the A on Detmer. I wish we had some more A's on the staff. After their first year, hopefully the grades move up.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Clickbait. I grade his grading of the coaching staff an overall B. Had some nice moments, and some rough patches.

In all seriousness, I agree with Hawk. It doesn't mean anything. It's a solid piece of clickbait that will probably get Dyllan Cannon a bunch of views.

What would actually be relevant is a grading of the Mendenhall Staff on the way out, since there is a relevant body of work there, and it isn't just conjecture. I doubt we see that article though.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Funny as there was a lot of discussion on this site as we looked at all of the coaching options. We would had given an A to Reid or the Seattle OC or Stanford's DC if we could had snagged them.

I like the Lamb and Clark Hires. Be honest, I don't know much about coaches. The article gave some insights on the various guys. I hope the author is more knowledgeable than we are.

If the budget was bigger, would we have hired other guys? I really want the LDS coach at Alabama. Heard he was making $350,000. I think it would be worth it for us to match his offer.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Discussion is one thing, and "grading" the hires is another. They haven't done one second of hands-on coaching with kids. Until they do that, any kind of score that you give them is speculation, at best. Except for Kaufusi and Cahoon, who have a record of coaching at BYU, everyone else is just extrapolating and speculating. Which is fine. It is just silly to give it a definitive grade.

I really like all the hires, except the Tuiaki hire remains to be proven to me. I don't have a doubt he will coach the linebackers well, but it remains to be seen how well he can scheme and coordinate.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

This is not much different than grading nfl teams on their draft picks or grading recruiting classes. It makes for interesting discussion and generates buzz around the hires. I have no problem with it. Sure it's speculation, but it's not just baseless speculation; it's an educated guess. It will be interesting for him to see how his grades pan out.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

With the exception of Lamb and Detmer, everyone was grossly over rated. I would give the Lamb hire and A and Detmer and A- simply because he has no college level coaching experience. I wouldn't have given anyone else a higher grade than a C. I hope they turn out to be fantastic but This staff has no experience from top to bottom with the exception of Lamb.

byucougar1
Pro

Post by byucougar1 »

Disagree with that assessment. Empey, Gilford and Cahoon were all former players and coaches and were quite good. Spring ball showed that player enthusiastically supported the current coaching regime and focus on developing basic skills that will enable them to attack, play more free and not overthink the play.

Detmer dissected defenses for his NFL coaches and QBs for fourteen years and his highly respected in his craft. The current QBs are ecstatic over the instruction that they are receiving and the emphasis Ty is focusing on exploiting D weaknesses.

Granted this is a couple of months after the comments, but I have always felt this way since the hires were made. The players comments just reaffirmed by belief in Sitake's hires.

TheDean
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by TheDean »

byucougar1 wrote:Disagree with that assessment. Empey, Gilford and Cahoon were all former players and coaches and were quite good. Spring ball showed that player enthusiastically supported the current coaching regime and focus on developing basic skills that will enable them to attack, play more free and not overthink the play.

Detmer dissected defenses for his NFL coaches and QBs for fourteen years and his highly respected in his craft. The current QBs are ecstatic over the instruction that they are receiving and the emphasis Ty is focusing on exploiting D weaknesses.

Granted this is a couple of months after the comments, but I have always felt this way since the hires were made. The players comments just reaffirmed by belief in Sitake's hires.
Except that when Cahoon coached the WRs before under Doman the WRs couldn't catch a cold let alone the ball when it was thrown their way without dropping it. Empey was O-line coach before and his O-lines were never all that good yet showed promise at times. Gilford is a ? mark but this season will answer it. I only whish that Sitaki would have hires Chad Lewis as his TE coach as Lewis is still in the back office and would be of greater help coaching.