Assistant Coaches?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Assistant Coaches?

Post by Schmoe »

pikoi wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
Mars wrote:
Schmoe wrote: So, we're only talking about at the point of hiring?
No, let's talk about Coach Sitake's entire career instead. :roll:
So, it's a good hire, then, because he COULD do really well or he COULD turn our program into a dumpster fire? Hell, we could've hired Urroner and that would still be true. We're supposed to give this a great grade because there's a chance, based on no real evidence, and in the face of all measurables, that Sitake will be a good HC just because? Yes, let's all get real excited about that. :sulk:
BYU could hire ANYONE and "he COULD do really well or he COULD turn our program into a dumpster fire." Coach Sitake has a resume that is comparable with both Lavell and Bronco at the time they were each hired. Who is the better alternative here? And how do you know that they were a realistic option?
Wrong, Bronco made teams better as an assistant and the players who played for him advocated for him to be HC.

So, because you think he was our only realistic option (Ken N, Anderson, even Anae have better track records of success and making teams better), we HAVE to be happy about the hire? I'm supposed to be over the moon for the low-protein gruel that the prison guards feed me because it's my only option?

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Schmoe wrote: So, it's a good hire, then...
I don't think either of us know the answer to that yet. Crowton may have seemed a good hire to many at the time. Bronco may have seemed a terrible hire. And I doubt anyone knew just how incredible LaVell's career would turn out to be.

I'm concerned that his defenses declined statistically at Utah. I'm concerned about his year at Oregon State. I worry how much of his success was actually Whittingham's. It's too bad we couldn't bring in a proven head coach. I also had concerns about Kyle, Ken, Bevell, Lance, Anae, and most others on BYU's possibility list.

But also, I hope that his recruiting will pay off big. I hope he can bring in some talented new blood on the coaching staff. I hope that he will better prepare BYU mentally, emotionally, and schematically to beat Utah. I hope that former players, coaches, and fans will turn their hearts back to BYU, providing increased support and money, and that BYU puts it to good use winning games on the football field.

I also hope that BYU gets into the Big XII and that Rice Chex burns down. Since I can't control the world, my fingers are crossed.

Go Cougars

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

Schmoe wrote:
pikoi wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
Mars wrote:
Schmoe wrote: So, we're only talking about at the point of hiring?
No, let's talk about Coach Sitake's entire career instead. :roll:
So, it's a good hire, then, because he COULD do really well or he COULD turn our program into a dumpster fire? Hell, we could've hired Urroner and that would still be true. We're supposed to give this a great grade because there's a chance, based on no real evidence, and in the face of all measurables, that Sitake will be a good HC just because? Yes, let's all get real excited about that. :sulk:
BYU could hire ANYONE and "he COULD do really well or he COULD turn our program into a dumpster fire." Coach Sitake has a resume that is comparable with both Lavell and Bronco at the time they were each hired. Who is the better alternative here? And how do you know that they were a realistic option?
Wrong, Bronco made teams better as an assistant and the players who played for him advocated for him to be HC.

So, because you think he was our only realistic option (Ken N, Anderson, even Anae have better track records of success and making teams better), we HAVE to be happy about the hire? I'm supposed to be over the moon for the low-protein gruel that the prison guards feed me because it's my only option?
Either one believes that TH has the best interests of BYU at heart, and has done his due diligence, and is of the belief that KS is THE best available HC for BYU or one doesn't. I have confidence in TH that KS is the best option we have for BYU.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Mars wrote:
Schmoe wrote: Hooray for BYU becoming the former players club where guys like Hans Olsen are treated like king $#!+ while our team does poorly on the field!
You're writing off next season already. You're writing off the new head coach already. I'm okay with having doubts, but pretending that you can see the future, and that the only possibility is abject failure, makes you Airwolf.
I would happily lay off if the opposite weren't true of fans of the hire, trying to take a dig at those of us with very real and articulable doubts on EVERY SINGLE THREAD (see this one, for example. We can't just talk about assistant coaches, which I'd like to do, but we have to throw in the "what a terrible hire :roll: " and other dumb shit that has nothing to do with assistant coaches to just keep trying to make ourselves feel better).

pikoi
BLUEshirt

Post by pikoi »

Players advocating for a coach is credible evidence of coaching acumen? We will have to agree to disagree on that one. It is possible that Coach Sitake made OSU's defense worse. But if you are going to blame him for the OSU defense, you also have to give him credit for the Utah DL play from 05-08 (DL coach) and overall defensive play from 09-14 while he was defensive coordinator and Asst. Head coach. I am not saying he is the perfect candidate or a guarantee, but he has the experience and talent to be successful. Let's hope that he is- and that he can hire some great assistants!
Last edited by pikoi on Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

pikoi wrote:Players advocating for a coach is credible evidence of coaching acumen? We will have to agree to disagree on that one. It is possible that Coach Sitake made OSU's defense worse. But if you are going to blame him for the OSU defense, you also have to give him credit for the Utah DL play from 05-08 (DL coach) and overall defensive play from 09-14 while he was defensive coordinator and Asst. Head coach. I am not saying he is the perfect candidate or a guarantee, but he has the experience and talent to be successful. Let's hope that he is!
I have given him credit for the Utah defense from 09-14, IT GOT WORSE EACH YEAR AND BETTER AS SOON AS HE WAS GONE. Here's the numbers AGAIN:

Utah Scoring and overall defense by year w/ Sitake as defensive coordinator: 2008 (year before Sitake):12
2009: 23 & 18
2010: 24 & 20
2011: 19 & 27
2012: 49 & 36
2013: 73 & 61
2014: 61 & 74
2015 (year after Sitake): 31 & 41
At OSU:
2014 (year before Sitake):97 & 78
2015: 115 & 117

I hope we do great, too. But don't tell me I have no reason to doubt when this stuff is staring us in the face.

pikoi
BLUEshirt

Post by pikoi »

pikoi wrote: I am not saying he is the perfect candidate or a guarantee, but he has the experience and talent to be successful. Let's hope that he is- and that he can hire some great assistants!
See above. Not a perfect candidate. Not a guarantee. Hope he can hire some great assistants.
FYI, we all know these numbers. I wish they were better for Kalani (not for Utah!). It is not super surprising that the Utah defense gave up more yards and points against the PAC12 schedule than the MWC schedule in previous years.

And doubt away. We all are. Just hoping for the best.

Stirfry
All-American

Post by Stirfry »

Schmoe wrote:
pikoi wrote:Players advocating for a coach is credible evidence of coaching acumen? We will have to agree to disagree on that one. It is possible that Coach Sitake made OSU's defense worse. But if you are going to blame him for the OSU defense, you also have to give him credit for the Utah DL play from 05-08 (DL coach) and overall defensive play from 09-14 while he was defensive coordinator and Asst. Head coach. I am not saying he is the perfect candidate or a guarantee, but he has the experience and talent to be successful. Let's hope that he is!
I have given him credit for the Utah defense from 09-14, IT GOT WORSE EACH YEAR AND BETTER AS SOON AS HE WAS GONE. Here's the numbers AGAIN:

Utah Scoring and overall defense by year w/ Sitake as defensive coordinator: 2008 (year before Sitake):12
2009: 23 & 18
2010: 24 & 20
2011: 19 & 27
2012: 49 & 36
2013: 73 & 61
2014: 61 & 74
2015 (year after Sitake): 31 & 41
At OSU:
2014 (year before Sitake):97 & 78
2015: 115 & 117
I hope we do great, too. But don't tell me I have no reason to doubt when this stuff is staring us in the face.
Doesn't this pretty much coincide with the jump to the Pac12 and the pac and utahs schedule getting more difficult? Time at OSU just needs to be thrown out.

I think everyone has concerns and these stats keep getting cited but I haven't heard of many if any better options.

If by Anderson you mention the Stanford guy I don't know why he never gained traction. However I don't see how he's anymore qualified than Kalani. I don't know what his Defense ranks but I do know he doesn't have BYU ties. He was my second choice.

Gary Anderson? Not an option

Anae? I was probably more on the Anae fan list than most but his personality appear like they would make him a terrible head coach .

Ken N?- dudes in a job he loves in a place he loves and lives him and he's about to qualify for a federal pension while being the highest paid federal employee. No way he leaves.

It's pretty hard for you players to advocate for you to be HC when the HC at their current school is still employed.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Finally figured out how to get the Rich Rod quote off my signature that randomly showed up! Sorry if you thought I stole it from you……..whoever it was that used to have it
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Lot of lines in the sand being drawn today.

I'm always skeptical with new coaches. But I'm going to be cheering Kalani from day 1. He's not going to be perfect and just like Mangum on Saturday, he's probably going to make some frosh errors. Such is life. I'm also hoping he makes some awesome hires as assistant to support him and make as seamless as possible of a transition to HC. If he performs approximately as well as bronco and stays for 20 years while getting into the NC conversation a few times, I'll be happy.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

We will have to give him a few years before we get an idea of how well he will do. Crowton's first year was incredible and made me a fanatical fan. And then we saw how that worked out. Next year will be his first recruiting class. Recruiting is where we expect him to shine. This year might be too late. Hopefully he get some of the borderline kids to come to the recruiting weekend and get them to join up.