Reasons Why the MWC is Improving

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Reasons Why the MWC is Improving

Post by stuckinbig10country »

I know I'm going to get a lot of flack for this (especially point 2), but I think that there are 2 main reasons why the MWC has become much better since the 2005 season.

1. The inclusion of TCU beginning in 2005. Aside from the fact that they are a good team, it has made it easier to recruit in Texas for the whole conference. Its much easier to land a kid if you can tell him and his parents that they'll play close to home at least 2 times during his career.

2. The influx of cash from the current TV contract. The facilities around the conference have been upgraded since the mtn/cstv/vs deal came into being. The schools can afford better head and assistant coaches. This has also improved recruiting.

I think there are a couple things that need to improve (the biggest of which is our bowl tie-ins), but the conference will continue to improve.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Schmoe
Retired

Re: Reasons Why the MWC is Improving

Post by Schmoe »

No doubt the extra money from the MTN deal has helped with money, but it's also tougher to get exposure when a lot of markets won't pick it up and we have this infighting with DirecTV (not to mention the lousy announcers, poor camera work, and overall second-rate feel of the network). I'm happy to see every game on TV, now let's do some major upgrades to the channel, market it a little better, and make it available to the satellite companies.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

The major move would be for the Mtn to get on the Dish. They should offer them a better deal than Directv to get them and pass the deal to Directv. The rate could be lower but the revenues would be higher plus the increase exposure should help the channel with their advertising rate. This would make the detail more valuable and lead to higher revenues to the conferense. Maybe the conferece should buy them out or did it on their own in the very beginning.

mcgregor
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: Cougar Law

Post by mcgregor »

Recruiting's newer complexion change contributes as well.

First, in the past, talent-rich areas got recruited by the major, and local, programs. The first kids left out of the recruiting process were left to give up their career, or go play at a nameless school. Now, technology, combined with schools and recruits being more willing to travel, has enabled schools to learn about more players, and more players to learn about other schools.

Another factor is the realization of many recruits of the value of playing time. Rather than enrolling at Penn State, and maybe getting a chance to play your senior year, you can instead go to Wyoming and start for 3 years. People are starting to realize that 3 years starting anywhere is >>> than starting 1 year at a premier program. You have more time to develop your talent, and you will likely get more exposure.

EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

One of my fears though is the trend we're seeing with high-profile non-BCS teams like BYU and Boise St that can't get any new contracts for home & away games with BCS teams.

I keep throwing up this flag that Holmoe still has not booked one BCS team into LES since he took over. He's finally getting up against a wall where something has to be done. He's been allowed to side-step the issue since he took over and I want to either see results or I want to hear him say that he can't get it done (no reflection on him personally in making such a confession) under current circumstances. My point is that if we can't get any BCS teams to LES, then let's get it out in the open and in the public. That might not help us still, but it isn't going to hurt whatsoever. Stand up and state that no one has the cajones to come to Provo and let the world know.

It will be just as interesting to see what BSU will do with their future schedule. they are in the same boat. Who in their right mind would want to go to play on the smurf-turf if they didn't have to? We're going, but I think it makes sense (based totally on a true football sense and maybe not with scheduling savy) to book home and away with them.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

EM_Puma wrote:One of my fears though is the trend we're seeing with high-profile non-BCS teams like BYU and Boise St that can't get any new contracts for home & away games with BCS teams.

I keep throwing up this flag that Holmoe still has not booked one BCS team into LES since he took over. He's finally getting up against a wall where something has to be done. He's been allowed to side-step the issue since he took over and I want to either see results or I want to hear him say that he can't get it done (no reflection on him personally in making such a confession) under current circumstances. My point is that if we can't get any BCS teams to LES, then let's get it out in the open and in the public. That might not help us still, but it isn't going to hurt whatsoever. Stand up and state that no one has the cajones to come to Provo and let the world know.

It will be just as interesting to see what BSU will do with their future schedule. they are in the same boat. Who in their right mind would want to go to play on the smurf-turf if they didn't have to? We're going, but I think it makes sense (based totally on a true football sense and maybe not with scheduling savy) to book home and away with them.
I have been in a meeting with Tom Holmoe where he said bluntly that BCS teams are balking at the requirement of playing at LES. Even low to middle of the road pack teams are requiring 2 for 1, and top BCS teams flat out refuse to come to LES. He said he's trying to work more neutral site games just for the simple fact that BCS teams will not play here.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I think the BCS has told their teams to not play the top non-BCS teams. Don't give them ammunition if they were to win. they are also told to play the lower teams as long as they beat them for the same argument. Done right and they will have their reason to not include us into the BCS. Why did ASU and UW cancel their games with us? Why did Wyoming get a home and awasy with Texas?

Maybe we will have to do 1 and dones or 2-1 agreements with teams that we can beat just to get the games. Our lower teams should schedule with Washington St. That is a game that they would have a good chance in

gmj81
Junior

Post by gmj81 »

EM_Puma wrote:One of my fears though is the trend we're seeing with high-profile non-BCS teams like BYU and Boise St that can't get any new contracts for home & away games with BCS teams.

I read this a couple times over just to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding something. But I don't think I am so help understand who booked the following contracts if not Holmoe:

UCLA
UW
Arizona
ASU (he still got a contract even if he let them out of it at the chance to replace them with OU)
BC (I'm actually not sure who's booking this was but I want to say it was Holmoe)
OU (admittedly not a home and home but I think we can all agree that was a big game to land)

I think Holmoe is doing just fine. He may not have the connections of some of the former AD's but I think the predominant reason we can't get better teams on the schedule is that teams have been unwilling to allow the sleeping giant in BYU to awaken. Despite their best efforts however, Bronco and Holmoe have managed to raise the dead.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I don't know the answer but they could have been booked years ago before Holmoe got there.

gmj81
Junior

Post by gmj81 »

I know FSU was a product of the Lavell era but I know for a fact that all the rest except BC (the only one I don't know) were Holmoe's doing.