SMU-Nevada

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

SMU-Nevada

Post by scott715 »

Game just started. Many on this board have suggested that we add Nevada to the MWC. SMU has been awful but this year they made it to a bowl. I suspect that we should add SMU over Nevada because projecting forward, they will be a tough team and they are in Texas. Plus when they come to play us we can replay the Miracle bowl!!!!

SMU up 7-0.

Mithrandir
Recruit

Re: SMU-Nevada

Post by Mithrandir »

SMU makes alot more sense than Nevada does. The only WAC team that makes any sense is Boise State. Fresno and UNR have ultra-trashy fanbases (seriously, I've travelled to games at both places...think Utah (but even more drunken), or Wyoming (but more thuggish)), and frankly aren't any good (our #5 team beat their #3, and our last placed team beat their #2). I would rather add any combination of SMU, Houston, Tulsa, or even Utah State than Fresno or UNR.

"There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.”
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

It's now 17-0. I'm thinking that if you put SMU in the MWC, they would become another TCU like team.

byutx
All-American

Post by byutx »

I'm waiting for WestIDahoCoug and his WAC homer bias to show up. WAC is working on an 0-fer.

byutx
All-American

Post by byutx »

5th best MWC team > 3rd best WAC team
4th best C-USA team > 2nd best WAC team
Best MWC team will likely > Best WAC team

The real nail biter will be whether the 5th best MAC team > 4th best WAC team

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Does the WAC have a chance to win any bowl games this year?

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

scott715 wrote:It's now 17-0. I'm thinking that if you put SMU in the MWC, they would become another TCU like team.
Why, because they beat Nevada? Really? You know who else beat Nevada? Yep, CSU, and they did it when Nevada HAD their two 1,000 yard backs. If you put SMU in the MWC, they'd be another CSU.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
westidahocougar
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by westidahocougar »

byutx wrote:I'm waiting for WestIDahoCoug and his WAC homer bias to show up. WAC is working on an 0-fer.
Hey I am back!!! I will gladly eat any crow and say the WAC is HORRIBLE!!!! Just to clarify my position once again I have repeatedly said the WAC is terrible terrible terrible. Not once have I said they are good. Ever.

They are proving that they are very mediocre this year, at least in the bowl games.

I will stand by all my statements that beside the Big Three, the MWC is just as bad as the WAC though. As much as I would love it to not be true, BSU, Utah, TCU, and BYU are the only quality teams in either conference. The rest are crap.

I would be very surprised if Ault continued as head coach at Nevada. That bowl game was pathetic.

So, I will now go on the record saying that Nevada does not belong anywhere but a crappy conference. SMU just played their way in for me in any expansion.

I do still think that Boise will make a pretty good game with TCU, its just a shame one of them has to lose.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

I wouldn't say "very mediocre," I'd say downright ABYSMAL. If the WAC didn't have BSU, they'd be competing with the Sun Belt for the worst conference in America. Don't try to sugar coat it by saying that "only BYU, Utah, and TCU are good from the MWC," because the MWC middle of the pack teams have shown that they are superior to the WAC's high end teams. Sorry, although you may have never SAID the WAC is good, you imply it in almost every post.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
westidahocougar
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by westidahocougar »

Schmoe wrote:because the MWC middle of the pack teams have shown that they are superior to the WAC's high end teams.
So all that proves is that the MWC middle of the pack teams are a shade better than horrible.....?? Sorry....but that is the truth.

BSU is on par with TCU, Utah, and BYU, but I really do think after those four teams it is a crapshoot for who would be the best (or worst) team out of the rest of both conferences. This year it would definitely not be anyone from the WAC.

I gladly admit the WAC is crappy, abysmal, whatever you want to say. But I cant in the same breath say that UNLV, SDSU, CSU, Woming, or New Mexico are "good" without feeling like I would have to lie to get a temple recommend....