Rub routes?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Rub routes?

Post by snoscythe »

One thing that has irked me (and I don't have the game DVR'd, so I can't rewatch to confirm) is that I don't think I ever saw a single rub, pick, or crossing route by any of our receivers at any point in the game, and more frustrating was not seeing it in the second half.

If you are getting swallowed up in man coverage, those are the routes you go to if you want to free someone up. Are they not in the playbook? Did I miss them? Is Anae too stubborn to admit his receivers can't beat man and his QB doesn't have the touch to make throws into coverage on a given Saturday?

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Re: Rub routes?

Post by Brayden Green »

snoscythe wrote:One thing that has irked me (and I don't have the game DVR'd, so I can't rewatch to confirm) is that I don't think I ever saw a single rub, pick, or crossing route by any of our receivers at any point in the game, and more frustrating was not seeing it in the second half.

If you are getting swallowed up in man coverage, those are the routes you go to if you want to free someone up. Are they not in the playbook? Did I miss them? Is Anae too stubborn to admit his receivers can't beat man and his QB doesn't have the touch to make throws into coverage on a given Saturday?
Careful Sno, Hawk is going to start saying that he is smarter than you if you start calling Anae out. You are spot on. As I was saying all throughout the game, there were no quick slants, or anything over the middle of the field. Which, in man coverage and with blitzing linebackers on almost every play is inexcusable for an OC. Harbaugh - knowing Mangum's tendency to roll out to his right under pressure - had additional men in the first half (usually linebackers) blitzing from that side of the field. There were at least 5 times that Mangum actually ran right into a blitzer. As an OC - seeing that - you would say "cool" I'll just go to the middle with a crossing route, where it is ABSOLUTELY EMPTY, for the easy yardage, and see if our wr/hb's can make a play in the open field. But, at the very least we'll get first downs and - you know, cross the 50 at least one time in the game, and keep the defense off the field for a few minutes.

If Anae were to play chess, I am convinced that he would march each piece forward - regardless of what the opponent is doing - and then look around confused as the losses start to pile up. Instead of taking what is CLEARLY given to him and making the defense re-adjust, he keeps doing what he is doing, with what could only be supreme arrogance or a deep, deep, misunderstanding of the game of football.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

mormonrasta
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by mormonrasta »

snoscythe wrote:One thing that has irked me (and I don't have the game DVR'd, so I can't rewatch to confirm) is that I don't think I ever saw a single rub, pick, or crossing route by any of our receivers at any point in the game, and more frustrating was not seeing it in the second half.

Don't those plays take a longer time to develop? With the way our line was getting owned, I'm not sure that w
would have worked.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Brayden Green wrote:

Careful Sno, Hawk is going to start saying that he is smarter than you if you start calling Anae out. You are spot on. As I was saying all throughout the game, there were no quick slants, or anything over the middle of the field. Which, in man coverage and with blitzing linebackers on almost every play is inexcusable for an OC. Harbaugh - knowing Mangum's tendency to roll out to his right under pressure - had additional men in the first half (usually linebackers) blitzing from that side of the field. There were at least 5 times that Mangum actually ran right into a blitzer. As an OC - seeing that - you would say "cool" I'll just go to the middle with a crossing route, where it is ABSOLUTELY EMPTY, for the easy yardage, and see if our wr/hb's can make a play in the open field. But, at the very least we'll get first downs and - you know, cross the 50 at least one time in the game, and keep the defense off the field for a few minutes.

If Anae were to play chess, I am convinced that he would march each piece forward - regardless of what the opponent is doing - and then look around confused as the losses start to pile up. Instead of taking what is CLEARLY given to him and making the defense re-adjust, he keeps doing what he is doing, with what could only be supreme arrogance or a deep, deep, misunderstanding of the game of football.
Nah, I will freely admit that Sno is smarter than I am in regards to football.

But I do agree with rasta on this one. Mangum was panicked and rushed. He wasn't letting routes develop whether or not there were crossing routes called or not. The Michigan defenders were also quite handsey with our receivers as every single replay that showed a receiver showed his jersey being tugged. Essentially Michigan dared the refs to call PI or defensive holding on every call, and the refs caved.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Quick slants are a 3 step drop, 5 max. There is no faster route. Period. Especially if you are throwing to the slot or a tight end.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

mormonrasta wrote:

Don't those plays take a longer time to develop? With the way our line was getting owned, I'm not sure that would have worked.
They take time if your rub receiver is coming from the opposite side of the formation which is the traditional take on the rub/pick route, but one of the virtues of the spread offense is that they have now become common on the same side of the field.

[youtube]iipyi83YUlw[/youtube]

The downside is that if you don't run them carefully, you'll get flagged for offensive PI, so if you don't practice them during the week, it's not something you want to call on Saturday.

CAFB_04-12
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CAFB_04-12 »

Brayden Green wrote:...or a tight end.

Tanner Mangum has more receptions than all TEs on the roster this year. I'm just not convinced that Anae has the athletes he needs to rely on TEs. Not since Dennis Pitta anyway.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

This is year 3 of Anae 2.0 . If Anae wanted a tight end he would have some by now. Byu is a destination school, especially at TE, and if they aren't at BYU... well, I'd like to know why.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Brayden Green wrote:This is year 3 of Anae 2.0 . If Anae wanted a tight end he would have some by now. Byu is a destination school, especially at TE, and if they aren't at BYU... well, I'd like to know why.

You answered your own question.

"If Anae wanted a tight end by now, he would have some by now."

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!