G5 athletic dept deficits

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

G5 athletic dept deficits

Post by scott715 »

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... epartments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: G5 athletic dept deficits

Post by Fido »

Wow...EVERY school in the MWC is on that list.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

And pretty sizeable deficits.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

So much for football subsidizing other sports...

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
jvquarterback
Heisman Winner

Post by jvquarterback »

Gunk wrote:So much for football subsidizing other sports...
FB and MBB are the only sports anywhere close to the black at G5 schools. There might be a few others at some schools but not many. Some football teams are money losers too and they should all be canceled.

Imagine how much the swim teams bring in. That's why they require subsidies.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

jvquarterback wrote:
FB and MBB are the only sports anywhere close to the black at G5 schools. There might be a few others at some schools but not many. Some football teams are money losers too and they should all be canceled.

UAB strongly disagrees with your assumptions as far as football goes. They just cut football as well as bowling and rifle teams.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ll-program" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note that they didn't cut any other mens' sport but football--they cut football first as the millstone around the athletic department's neck. Football is evidently on a budgetary par with women's bowling and women's rifle teams. They didn't even cut the tennis, golf, or sand volleyball teams. If football truly was "subsidizing" the other sports, it would be the last to go, not the first.

I expect to see more schools drop out of the arms race over the next few years.

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

I would not have guessed BSU is $11 million in the hole--They sell out the stadium pretty much every home game....I wonder where BYU and Utah stand? I am sure BYU being private doesn't disclose...but still curious

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

BoiseBYU wrote:I would not have guessed BSU is $11 million in the hole--They sell out the stadium pretty much every home game....I wonder where BYU and Utah stand? I am sure BYU being private doesn't disclose...but still curious
BYU runs at break-even or better. They don't break ground on improvements until every $ is available so that it is paid off upon completion. They've been pretty clear in the past that tithing funds (i.e. BYU's general fund) is not available for athletics beyond scholarships provided. If you're in the CougarClub, they're pretty open about what expenses they envision in the future, and what $ needs to be in place for those to happen. If the $ is not in place, things don't happen--they don't do debt.

Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougarfan87 »

BoiseBYU wrote:I would not have guessed BSU is $11 million in the hole--They sell out the stadium pretty much every home game....I wonder where BYU and Utah stand? I am sure BYU being private doesn't disclose...but still curious
BYU is well in the black. With Utah being in the P5, I would think they are in the black as well. Frankly, I don't think taxpayer dollars should subsidize college athletics, so I would be in favor of closing down any public University athletic program that cannot pay for itself. By that, I mean the athletic program as a whole needs to operate in the black, not every athletic team. Those millions could certainly be spent in better ways than entertainment, recognizing, of course, that entertaining football teams can bring in money to a University. But for loving BYU football, it would not have been the only school I applied to for undergrad.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

snoscythe wrote:
jvquarterback wrote:

UAB strongly disagrees with your assumptions as far as football goes. They just cut football as well as bowling and rifle teams.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ll-program" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note that they didn't cut any other mens' sport but football--they cut football first as the millstone around the athletic department's neck. Football is evidently on a budgetary par with women's bowling and women's rifle teams. They didn't even cut the tennis, golf, or sand volleyball teams. If football truly was "subsidizing" the other sports, it would be the last to go, not the first.

I expect to see more schools drop out of the arms race over the next few years.
Football is an incredibly expensive sport. Like you said it's an arms race and what's the point in spending so much money when access to the championship game is still so limited? At least in basketball every team really does have a chance. If UAB runs the table in basketball they get a chance at the big boys and winning it all. If they run the table in football they get...a pat on the back and lots of incurred expenses...

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins