G5 athletic dept deficits

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: G5 athletic dept deficits

Post by nuk13 »

Cougarfan87 wrote:
BoiseBYU wrote:I would not have guessed BSU is $11 million in the hole--They sell out the stadium pretty much every home game....I wonder where BYU and Utah stand? I am sure BYU being private doesn't disclose...but still curious
BYU is well in the black. With Utah being in the P5, I would think they are in the black as well. Frankly, I don't think taxpayer dollars should subsidize college athletics, so I would be in favor of closing down any public University athletic program that cannot pay for itself. By that, I mean the athletic program as a whole needs to operate in the black, not every athletic team. Those millions could certainly be spent in better ways than entertainment, recognizing, of course, that entertaining football teams can bring in money to a University. But for loving BYU football, it would not have been the only school I applied to for undergrad.
I agree that taxpayers should not supplement sports. That is not fair to those who don't believe in it.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

I have no problem with athletic departments running at a small deficit. The athletic teams, and especially football teams, are often the primary marketing tool and most valuable asset in branding the school, so I think a small deficit is allowable as a form of marketing expense and brand building.

Multi-million dollar deficits make that much harder to swallow, especially year after year of mediocrity where your brand isn't being advanced.

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

So according to this list, outside of the P5 conferences (64 teams), BYU and ND (2), and the 56 on the list in the link, there are 6 G5 teams that are operating at a net revenue (9.7%). (128 teams with football - 64 (P5) - 2 (BYU, ND) - 56 (G5 teams with deficit) = 6).

There was a number thrown around earlier this year that about 25 FBS teams are operating in the black (seems a little low, but maybe), that means 19 of the 66 teams (P5 + ND + BYU) are operating in the black (28.8%)

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

stuckinbig10country wrote:So according to this list, outside of the P5 conferences (64 teams), BYU and ND (2), and the 56 on the list in the link, there are 6 G5 teams that are operating at a net revenue (9.7%). (128 teams with football - 64 (P5) - 2 (BYU, ND) - 56 (G5 teams with deficit) = 6).

There was a number thrown around earlier this year that about 25 FBS teams are operating in the black (seems a little low, but maybe), that means 19 of the 66 teams (P5 + ND + BYU) are operating in the black (28.8%)
Thanks What list are you referring to?

Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougarfan87 »

snoscythe wrote:I have no problem with athletic departments running at a small deficit. The athletic teams, and especially football teams, are often the primary marketing tool and most valuable asset in branding the school, so I think a small deficit is allowable as a form of marketing expense and brand building.

Multi-million dollar deficits make that much harder to swallow, especially year after year of mediocrity where your brand isn't being advanced.
That is a much more eloquent way of stating what I was trying to say. Athletics is a marketing tool for a university. But as with all marketing tools, the bang has to be worth the buck. I'm not sure the multi-million dollars brings in enough money to cover the expense, but maybe it does. My gut says, athletics do not bring in multi-millions of dollars in contributions/rising enrollment for most universities.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

No, but if they bring in students who bring in gov't backed loans...

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
nickdutson
BLUEshirt

Post by nickdutson »

What makes you think BYU athletics is in the black? I work at Deseret Digital Media which is owned by the church. This is the parent company to dozens of other companies including desnews and ksl. Both are in the red each year.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

BOID
Junior

Post by BOID »

nickdutson wrote:What makes you think BYU athletics is in the black? I work at Deseret Digital Media which is owned by the church. This is the parent company to dozens of other companies including desnews and ksl. Both are in the red each year.

I fail to see how this constitutes any evidence or argument that BYU football is not financially solvent. Or is this just another troll comment?

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

nickdutson wrote:What makes you think BYU athletics is in the black? I work at Deseret Digital Media which is owned by the church. This is the parent company to dozens of other companies including desnews and ksl. Both are in the red each year.

Because we get updates each year about the general state of the athletic department each year in the Cougar Club.

ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

snoscythe wrote:

Because we get updates each year about the general state of the athletic department each year in the Cougar Club.
And you would trust those lying weasels in the Cougar Club over a nameless internet poster and his representation about his “job” working in an unrelated field for a corporation that is tangentially similar to the subject of the discussion? C’mon!