Best value for coach

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Best value for coach

Post by frdbtr »

Mars wrote:
frdbtr wrote: Maybe if it weren't the truth. Take a look at thier counterparts on the ute team and ask yourself if those guys have near the size and/or speed of thier counterparts on the ute defense. I don't know the utes by name but utah's corners were in our recievers pockets all game, utah's linebackers were all over the place, utah's safeties were fast and smacking people all game. This years defense flat out does not have the athletic ability of the 2006 or 2007 defenses, especially at the linebacker position. The good news is, BYU has recruited some real speed for our defense for years to come.
Dline, sure. But BYU's LB core > Utah's LB core.
There isn't a yewt safety who would be better at BYU than Johnson has been the past two seasons when healthy.
And Brian Logan will be one of the very best in his position in the entire league next season. Wrubell thought he was this season as well.

Uhhhh, no one hates the utes worse then me but I think you need to take a step back and analyze what you just said. utah's Johnson is head and shoulders better then Scott Johnson. utah's linebackers run circles around ours with the exception of Jordon Pendleton. I love Brian Logan but he is at least 4 inches shorter and no faster then either of utah's corners. Denney is a servicable lineman but not special. I love Colby Clawson but he should be a rush defensive end and not a linebacker, he is slow and bad at pass coverage. Bauman is simply not a good inside linebacker, especially in pass coverage. BYU's defense has been good this year overall, they have held opponents scoring down for the most part but has not been a dominating unit. I have been watching BYU classic sports on BYU tv and the 2007 defense was MUCH faster and dominating then this one has been. The good news is, I think that the deficiency in talent is going to be rectified in the next year or 2.

Bewhyu
Gray Shirt
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Bewhyu »

frdbtr wrote:IMO Bronco has done more with what he has then anyone in the country. I was watching the utah BYU game again last night and the talent difference is astounding (I am able to watch it with an ubiased eye now that I know that BYU is going to win). If you look at BYU's defense, only Jan Jorgenson would see the field if on utah's dline. In the linebackers, only Jordon Pendleton would see the field, NONE of our secondary would see the field on utah's defense. The future, however, is looking good as soon as some of these recruits we are currently getting start playing.
This is why I love BYU! Our players aren't the most talented, but they more than make up for that because they are generally smart, hard working mature, teachable, disciplined and well coached team players. The fact that they the can take high school players that are, as a whole, at or below the talent level of a Wyoming, UNLV or some div II schools and regularly win the MWC is a real testimony to the program.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

frdbtr wrote: Uhhhh, no one hates the utes worse then me but I think you need to take a step back and analyze what you just said. utah's Johnson is head and shoulders better then Scott Johnson. utah's linebackers run circles around ours with the exception of Jordon Pendleton. I love Brian Logan but he is at least 4 inches shorter and no faster then either of utah's corners.
Uhhh Utah's Johnson couldn't step into the program and call out formations better than our own guy, sorry. Logan led the league in passes defended, not some yewt. And our LBs beat their LBs hands down, sorry, you must be looking at that one with red shades on.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

frdbtr wrote:
Mars wrote:
frdbtr wrote: Maybe if it weren't the truth. Take a look at thier counterparts on the ute team and ask yourself if those guys have near the size and/or speed of thier counterparts on the ute defense. I don't know the utes by name but utah's corners were in our recievers pockets all game, utah's linebackers were all over the place, utah's safeties were fast and smacking people all game. This years defense flat out does not have the athletic ability of the 2006 or 2007 defenses, especially at the linebacker position. The good news is, BYU has recruited some real speed for our defense for years to come.
There isn't a yewt safety who would be better at BYU than Johnson has been the past two seasons when healthy.
And Brian Logan will be one of the very best in his position in the entire league next season. Wrubell thought he was this season as well.

Uhhhh, no one hates the utes worse then me but I think you need to take a step back and analyze what you just said. utah's Johnson is head and shoulders better then Scott Johnson. utah's linebackers run circles around ours with the exception of Jordon Pendleton. I love Brian Logan but he is at least 4 inches shorter and no faster then either of utah's corners. Denney is a servicable lineman but not special. I love Colby Clawson but he should be a rush defensive end and not a linebacker, he is slow and bad at pass coverage. Bauman is simply not a good inside linebacker, especially in pass coverage. BYU's defense has been good this year overall, they have held opponents scoring down for the most part but has not been a dominating unit. I have been watching BYU classic sports on BYU tv and the 2007 defense was MUCH faster and dominating then this one has been. The good news is, I think that the deficiency in talent is going to be rectified in the next year or 2.
Umm...you must be thinking of last year's Utes, this year they just aren't that good.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Schmoe wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
Mars wrote:

Umm...you must be thinking of last year's Utes, this year they just aren't that good.

Ummmm, you must not have watched the BYU utah game this year. There was a couple reasons why Max Hall had his worst game of the year and one of them was utah's defense. utah won a lot of games this year and it wasn't because their offense was good.

gmj81
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by gmj81 »

I think Yewtah's 2009 defense had little to do with Max's performance a few weeks ago. They were definitely in his head because he didn't want to make any mistakes forcing things and be the goat again. But if he has his ordinary self, he would have lit that defense up. He just simply wasn't going to give the game away as long as BYU was still leading.

The puke defense may not have been the weak link this year but they were nothing compared to their 2008 version.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

gmj81 wrote:I think Yewtah's 2009 defense had little to do with Max's performance a few weeks ago. They were definitely in his head because he didn't want to make any mistakes forcing things and be the goat again. But if he has his ordinary self, he would have lit that defense up. He just simply wasn't going to give the game away as long as BYU was still leading.

The puke defense may not have been the weak link this year but they were nothing compared to their 2008 version.
I think if Hall would have been his usual self we would have seen a few picks and a L.

Hall had an awesome game because he didn't force anything and still got the W. He showed a lot of patience and maturity against Utah.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

frdbtr wrote: Ummmm, you must not have watched the BYU utah game this year. There was a couple reasons why Max Hall had his worst game of the year and one of them was utah's defense. utah won a lot of games this year and it wasn't because their offense was good.
Utah has an amazing DL, but their LBs are only so-so. This is why they have been unable to stop the run this season.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

gmj81 wrote:I think Yewtah's 2009 defense had little to do with Max's performance a few weeks ago. They were definitely in his head because he didn't want to make any mistakes forcing things and be the goat again. But if he has his ordinary self, he would have lit that defense up. He just simply wasn't going to give the game away as long as BYU was still leading.

I said that utah's defense was 1 of the reasons that Hall struggled. The other is that he didn't have his head in the game due to his emotions getting the better of him. If Hall is his usual self, he plays better and the game isn't as close but utah's defense also seperated a couple recievers from passes that should have been complete. Does anyone remember the hit that utah's all conference safety put on Unga in the first quarter that seperated him from a sure completed pass? I have never seen a decleater on Unga until that hit. Knocked him off his feet. Remember in spring practice when Scott Johnson tried that on Tonga? The result was a concussion. All you guys that think I am defending utah's defense, I am not, I hate utah and root for them to lose in every game that they play. All I am doing is complementing Bronco on the outstanding job he has done with a BYU team that has had an under talented defense for 2 years in a row. I can't wait to see what he does with the talent that is currently being groomed and recruited.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

frdbtr wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
Mars wrote:

Ummmm, you must not have watched the BYU utah game this year. There was a couple reasons why Max Hall had his worst game of the year and one of them was utah's defense. utah won a lot of games this year and it wasn't because their offense was good.
Is that why Harvey ran for 116 against them and they only had 97? Because they have such a stellar LB corps that is so much better than ours? Is that why we were second in the MWC in rush defense and they were fourth? Ok...

PS--If I want to protect against the pass, I'll go into nickel and dime packages with extra corners and speedy DBs (If I can leave my LBs in, that's great, but if they can't stop the run, they're worthless).

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,