Subcommittee OKs college playoff bill

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
craigoscarson
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Subcommittee OKs college playoff bill

Post by craigoscarson »

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4727426

"We can walk and chew gum at the same time."

I say boo to all the liberals that don't think they have time for this when they're busy giving money away for their own pet projects. Maybe they could pull their heads out of the lobbyists asses long enough to get something done here.

Italics
Heisman Winner

Re: Subcommittee OKs college playoff bill

Post by Italics »

I kind of wonder how much these guys even know about college football

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care
jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

Italics wrote:I kind of wonder how much these guys even know about college football
About as much as they know about everything else (nothing) they write laws about and screw up.

Florwood
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Florwood »

I'm sceptical of the law they're proposing, but a quote of Rep. Joe Barton in the DNews made a good point:

"Can they be right and every other sport be wrong?" asked Barton. "We have a system that is designed as an economic cartel."

As evidence, he said TCU has played in 10 bowl games in the past 11 years and won four straight, but TCU has received less bowl-related revenue than Baylor, even though Baylor hasn't played in a bowl game in 11 years.

kiwibacon
All-American

Post by kiwibacon »

Florwood wrote:
As evidence, he said TCU has played in 10 bowl games in the past 11 years and won four straight, but TCU has received less bowl-related revenue than Baylor, even though Baylor hasn't played in a bowl game in 11 years.
Does someone have a link for this article in the Desnews?

That is some good stuff right there. It really should make people think when they try to justify that the BCS is a fair system. How do you justify giving money to a team that does not accomplish anything in a bowl game and no or little money to a team that does go to bowl games?

CAFB_04-12
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CAFB_04-12 »

This is the one thing Congress has done in the past two years that I can agree with.

...That, and the $8,000 first-time-homebuyers tax credit.

Cha-ching! $$$

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

You know, no one hates the BCS worse then me. Having said that, with 10% unemployment, a 1.2 trillion dollar budget defecit, I just don't see how busting the BCS should be a priority for the government. This along with force feeding us a health care bill that we don't need, is really getting me more and more upset with our current government.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

frdbtr wrote:You know, no one hates the BCS worse then me. Having said that, with 10% unemployment, a 1.2 trillion dollar budget defecit, I just don't see how busting the BCS should be a priority for the government. This along with force feeding us a health care bill that we don't need, is really getting me more and more upset with our current government.
I look at it like anything that distracts the government from screwing up the economy any worse than it is is a good thing.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

hawkwing wrote:
frdbtr wrote:You know, no one hates the BCS worse then me. Having said that, with 10% unemployment, a 1.2 trillion dollar budget defecit, I just don't see how busting the BCS should be a priority for the government. This along with force feeding us a health care bill that we don't need, is really getting me more and more upset with our current government.
I look at it like anything that distracts the government from screwing up the economy any worse than it is is a good thing.
I get what you are saying. I would definately like to see some budget and tax cutting going on but that would be too much to ask for the marxist control freaks we have running the government right now.