Who to root for this week

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
gmj81
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Who to root for this week

Post by gmj81 »

Not that BYU has anything to gain this season really from moving up in the rankings but I'd love to finish in the top 10 of the final AP poll. In order to do so, I think the following would have to happen this week:

#16 Oregon State loses at #7 Oregon (we don't want the beavers jumping us)
#5 Cincy wins at #15 Pitt (we don't want the panthers jumping us)
NR Clemson wins at #10 G. Tech

Then I'd like to see Bama win the SEC championship game, then lose to Texas in the national championship game, and Florida lose to TCU in their BCS bowl. I almost guarantee that whatever Big Ten team(s) go BCS bowling will lose this year. And two losses by Florida to close out the season should drop them down to around #10 at best. And I'm counting on LSU, the most overrated team in the country to lose their bowl game too.

Hopefully finishing in the top 10 would do keep the recruiting momentum going from the 2010 class going.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Re: Who to root for this week

Post by Lawboy »

Oregon State over Oregon, and Arizona over USC. Sets up better bowl matchups for BYU.

blue42
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by blue42 »

I would like to see Alabama beat Florida and Nebraska beat Texas, that way TCU jumps to #2 and then Alabama gets beat down for the second year in a row by a MWC team.

ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

gmj81 wrote: And two losses by Florida to close out the season should drop them down to around #10 at best. And I'm counting on LSU, the most overrated team in the country to lose their bowl game too.
A two loss Florida team with a win over FSU stays ranked ahead of a two loss BYU team that has a loss to FSU.

gmj81
Junior

Post by gmj81 »

blue42 wrote:I would like to see Alabama beat Florida and Nebraska beat Texas, that way TCU jumps to #2 and then Alabama gets beat down for the second year in a row by a MWC team.
If Cincy beats Pitt, they would easily jump TCU to take Texas's spot, at least in the computer rankings, and probably the pollsters would give them the nod too. But I wouldn't mind seeing that scenario if it worked out.

Short_Change
Freshman

Post by Short_Change »

I want to see Texas lose to Nebraska, and Cincy to lose to Pitt. If that happens, and I know that's a stretch, but if it does happen, TCU has got to be in the title game and that would be awesome!

blue42
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by blue42 »

gmj81 wrote:
blue42 wrote:I would like to see Alabama beat Florida and Nebraska beat Texas, that way TCU jumps to #2 and then Alabama gets beat down for the second year in a row by a MWC team.
If Cincy beats Pitt, they would easily jump TCU to take Texas's spot, at least in the computer rankings, and probably the pollsters would give them the nod too. But I wouldn't mind seeing that scenario if it worked out.
You are correct and I was already counting on that.

mormonrasta
Junior

Post by mormonrasta »

Lawboy wrote:Oregon State over Oregon, and Arizona over USC. Sets up better bowl matchups for BYU.

I agree OSU over Oregon, but I don't get Arizona over USC. The likely bowl matchup under that scenario would be OSU. They would probably be unranked.

Now if OSU beats Oregon, Cal beats UW, and USC beats Arizona the likely bowl matchup would be Cal which would be ranked well within the top 20.

BYUROCKS
Junior

Post by BYUROCKS »

gmj81 wrote:Not that BYU has anything to gain this season really from moving up in the rankings but I'd love to finish in the top 10 of the final AP poll. In order to do so, I think the following would have to happen this week:

#16 Oregon State loses at #7 Oregon (we don't want the beavers jumping us)
#5 Cincy wins at #15 Pitt (we don't want the panthers jumping us)
NR Clemson wins at #10 G. Tech

Then I'd like to see Bama win the SEC championship game, then lose to Texas in the national championship game, and Florida lose to TCU in their BCS bowl. I almost guarantee that whatever Big Ten team(s) go BCS bowling will lose this year. And two losses by Florida to close out the season should drop them down to around #10 at best. And I'm counting on LSU, the most overrated team in the country to lose their bowl game too.

Hopefully finishing in the top 10 would do keep the recruiting momentum going from the 2010 class going.

NB over Texas in big 12 Chap game.
FL over Bama.
Pitt over Cincy.
OSU, over Org.
AZ over USC.

CAFB_04-12
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CAFB_04-12 »

Short_Change wrote:I want to see Texas lose to Nebraska, and Cincy to lose to Pitt. If that happens, and I know that's a stretch, but if it does happen, TCU has got to be in the title game and that would be awesome!
I'm withya, bro. I'd also like to see Bama lose to Florida and see how the BCS computers deal with TCU then.