Where to go Bowling?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.

Where do you hope the Cougars go Bowling this year?

Las Vegas Bowl. It's a great destination, plenty of things to do and rooms
44%
Las Vegas Bowl. I hate the city, but the extra $500,000 the team gets more than the Poinsettia Bowl is worth it
35%
Poinsettia Bowl. I just want to go to San Diego this year, I don't care about the $500,000 difference between the Bowls
12%
Poinsettia Bowl. I do care about the $$ but $500,000 is a small price to get a change of venue
9%

Total votes: 34

Short_Change
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Where to go Bowling?

Post by Short_Change »

UVACoug wrote:I want Vegas for the money, the match up, and for the fact that I think we need to build the LV Bowl into a respectable bowl, since the MWC is unlikely to go get us anything else. With that said, I hate Las Vegas as a city. I'm sure it is not bad living in the suburbs, but the strip doesn't do anything for me. I like the setting of San Diego much better.

Another thing, giving the LV Bowl to the Yewts would mean they play a ranked team while we end up playing a 6th place Arizona or Cal. That would suck.
Either way we're playing Arizona or Cal.

UVACoug
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by UVACoug »

Short_Change wrote:
UVACoug wrote:I want Vegas for the money, the match up, and for the fact that I think we need to build the LV Bowl into a respectable bowl, since the MWC is unlikely to go get us anything else. With that said, I hate Las Vegas as a city. I'm sure it is not bad living in the suburbs, but the strip doesn't do anything for me. I like the setting of San Diego much better.

Another thing, giving the LV Bowl to the Yewts would mean they play a ranked team while we end up playing a 6th place Arizona or Cal. That would suck.
Either way we're playing Arizona or Cal.
Could very well be Oregon State. In any case, if it is Arizona or Cal in the Las Vegas Bowl, they will have won their last game and will be ranked. Very unlikely that match-up in San Diego is against a ranked team.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

I don't care, let's just get that win #11 and finish in the top ten!

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
CougarPeasant
All-American

Post by CougarPeasant »

Would love to see BYU play USC and win.

But as long as BYU wins, any bowl will do. Except for the tidy bowl. ;)

GolfDiveNCougs
Sophomore

Post by GolfDiveNCougs »

May be splitting hairs, but keep in mind, we won't likely be playing the 5th or 6th "best" team. In fact, there are 2 of the remaining 8 possibilities for the final Pac-10 standings that will be sending a team to Vegas that's tied for SECOND, and another 2 of the eight possibilities tied for third. Granted, for a 2nd or 3rd place team to fall to the 5th PICK, they'll likely be the team expected to have the lowest fan-draw, and that usually corresponds to lowest ranking of the ties, but not always. And that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't BETTER than teams going ahead of them. Good chance we'll have all we can handle, hopefully not more, no matter WHICH opponent we play.

Wickchad
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Wickchad »

I'll make the drive to Vegas. I'm not driving to San Diego. Here's hoping its Vegas.

I would really like to see a new match-up. OSU would be my first choice (of the likely teams). I'd be okay with Cal. They are still respected but I think we have the best chance of beating them over OSU or Arizona. I do not want the rematch with Arizona. This is why we need new bowl affiliations. Playing the PAC 10 in every bowl game means you play the same 3 teams all the time.

mormonrasta
Junior

Post by mormonrasta »

Wickchad84087 wrote:I'll make the drive to Vegas. I'm not driving to San Diego. Here's hoping its Vegas.

I would really like to see a new match-up. OSU would be my first choice (of the likely teams). I'd be okay with Cal. They are still respected but I think we have the best chance of beating them over OSU or Arizona. I do not want the rematch with Arizona. This is why we need new bowl affiliations. Playing the PAC 10 in every bowl game means you play the same 3 teams all the time.
2005- Cal
2006- Oregon
2007- UCLA
2008-Arizona
2009- Oregon St. (which I agree is most likely)

That's 5 different teams in 5 years despite going to the same bowl. That's not bad.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

If Oregon State wins and takes the Rose Bowl, Oregon gets the Holiday Bowl. I know USC wants that bowl. If they do not get it, I think they would rather play BYU in LV than anyone else in the Sun Bowl. USC will want the better match up, guaranteed. I am pulling for OSU to beat Oregon, because it opens up more possibilities.

But if not USC, I want the highest ranked team possible, and I think that will be Stanford. I expect UW to beat Cal.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

It would be fun to play Bronco's alma mater in a bowl game, I think it adds a fun, albeit small, element and storyline to the game.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Short_Change
Freshman

Post by Short_Change »

mormonrasta wrote:
Wickchad84087 wrote:I'll make the drive to Vegas. I'm not driving to San Diego. Here's hoping its Vegas.

2005- Cal
2006- Oregon
2007- UCLA
2008-Arizona
2009- Oregon St. (which I agree is most likely)

That's 5 different teams in 5 years despite going to the same bowl. That's not bad.
How is Oregon St. most likely? The lowest they could finish is 4th since they beat Cal and Stanford. The Vegas bowl gets the 5th ranked Pac-10 team which will most likely be Cal although there is a small possibility it could be USC or AZ.