Where to go Bowling?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.

Where do you hope the Cougars go Bowling this year?

Las Vegas Bowl. It's a great destination, plenty of things to do and rooms
44%
Las Vegas Bowl. I hate the city, but the extra $500,000 the team gets more than the Poinsettia Bowl is worth it
35%
Poinsettia Bowl. I just want to go to San Diego this year, I don't care about the $500,000 difference between the Bowls
12%
Poinsettia Bowl. I do care about the $$ but $500,000 is a small price to get a change of venue
9%

Total votes: 34

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Where to go Bowling?

Post by hawkwing »

Most likely the Las Vegas Bowl, but where would you want to go?

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Where to go Bowling?

Post by snoscythe »

The money doesn't matter--any extra money left over after covering expenses goes to the conference and gets divvied up among the schools.

So, I pick the first SD option. That choice might change after Saturday when the PAC-10 standings sort out, but without knowing any opponents, San Diego and the beaches is the place for me.

gmj81
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by gmj81 »

Not only is the money more in Vegas, but it's a guaranteed better opponent too. I wouldn't even mind playing 'Zona again just for paybacks but I would prefer to play OSU or USC in the Vegas Bowl.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

I go wherever the better match up is. If it is he LV Bowl, you do it. BYU has played a ranked team only 1 time in the LV Bowl and would be guaranteed one this year, and not in the Poinsettia Bowl. Play the ranked team, beat the ranked team, and go out in style like John Beck did.

byutx
All-American

Post by byutx »

E. Las Vegas: good chance of playing a ranked Pac-10 team, possibly USC

cougarsunited
Freshman

Post by cougarsunited »

byutx wrote:E. Las Vegas: good chance of playing a ranked Pac-10 team, possibly USC
Even if USC isn't ranked, they would be a great opponent and give us the visibility we hope to get from a bowl game.

mormonrasta
Junior

Post by mormonrasta »

byutx wrote:E. Las Vegas: good chance of playing a ranked Pac-10 team, possibly USC
There is very little chance of playing a ranked USC. If USC is in the Vegas bowl that means they lost to Arizona and Cal lost to UW. USC would almost certainly drop out of the rankings with a loss to Arizona.

mormonrasta
Junior

Post by mormonrasta »

I voted Vegas. I think USC beats Arizona and I do not want a BYU-Arizona rematch in the Poinsettia Bowl.

BYUROCKS
Junior

Post by BYUROCKS »

snoscythe wrote:The money doesn't matter--any extra money left over after covering expenses goes to the conference and gets divvied up among the schools.

So, I pick the first SD option. That choice might change after Saturday when the PAC-10 standings sort out, but without knowing any opponents, San Diego and the beaches is the place for me.
The money does matter, if I remember right, BYU's AD, Tom Holmoe said something along the lines of, they don't make that much money off the LV Bowl, they spend most of it on expenses, so I think the 500K is needed.

That said, I still want a change of venue, I would love to play USC tho, either at Vegas, or SD.

UVACoug
BLUEshirt

Post by UVACoug »

I want Vegas for the money, the match up, and for the fact that I think we need to build the LV Bowl into a respectable bowl, since the MWC is unlikely to go get us anything else. With that said, I hate Las Vegas as a city. I'm sure it is not bad living in the suburbs, but the strip doesn't do anything for me. I like the setting of San Diego much better.

Another thing, giving the LV Bowl to the Yewts would mean they play a ranked team while we end up playing a 6th place Arizona or Cal. That would suck.