Thank You Kyle Whittingham

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
bostoncoug
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Thank You Kyle Whittingham

Post by bostoncoug »

As I was thinking about the game (you know that thing that took place before all the mayhem insued!!!) and I realized that Kyle Whittingham actually HELPED BYU win the game. Remember just before halftime, BYU lines up to kick a field goal, and just prior to the snap kwhit call a time out and Payne misses the field goal. BYU comes back from the time out runs one play, then brings Payne back in and kwhit calls a time out again just before the snap and Payne hits the field goal. When they were finally allowed to play, Payne hit the field goal. Those three points were needed to go into overtime. Obviously without those three points Bronco manages the time outs at the end differently and WHO knows what would've happend. But still, it brings a :D to my face when I think about how kwhit may have actually helped BYU win the game. I knew he was true blue all along :evil: :evil:

craigoscarson
Pro

Re: Thank You Kyle Whittingham

Post by craigoscarson »

Robert Anae did Utah a favor by not getting the ball to Harvey more in the 2nd half. It's all a wash.

Sammich
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Sammich »

craigoscarson wrote:Robert Anae did Utah a favor by not getting the ball to Harvey more in the 2nd half. It's all a wash.
I don't get people saying this. As I remember it we ran on 2/3 plays each series in the second half, but utah's D-line was stopping up the holes much better. Maybe I need to go back and look at the stats again, but I don't remember us being able to pass OR run effectively the 2nd half (with the exception of the scoring drive).

Wickchad
All-American

Post by Wickchad »

Also, thank you Aaron Rodderick for having your freshman quarterback throw deep on 3rd and 25 with 40 seconds left in the half, instead of running the ball. Those three points also helped.

Wickchad
All-American

Post by Wickchad »

craigoscarson wrote:Robert Anae did Utah a favor by not getting the ball to Harvey more in the 2nd half. It's all a wash.
If he had more carries he would have ended up fumbling. He put the ball on the ground 3 times during the game. We recovered one and two others were fortunately ruled as ground caused.

Italics
Heisman Winner

Post by Italics »

Sammich wrote:
I don't get people saying this. As I remember it we ran on 2/3 plays each series in the second half, but utah's D-line was stopping up the holes much better. Maybe I need to go back and look at the stats again, but I don't remember us being able to pass OR run effectively the 2nd half (with the exception of the scoring drive).
Yeah, I would watch the second half again :)

I'm thoroughly convinced that 3 run plays on each drive would have picked us up first downs. Unga was getting 5-8 yard gains like it was nothing.

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care
Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

The issue was not the running, but the formation. When BYU ran out of the I-formation, we ran it great. Dominated in fact, since Manase blocked so well from that formation. When we ran single back, or from a spread formation, the success was varied. I wanted BYU to run from the I all 2nd half long. I know it is old school, but I thought Anae should have stuck with it until they stopped it, then kept doing it and throw play action from it. In the 1st half TD, we ran 2 plays from the I to get the score for Harvey and overpowered them. We ran 1 play action pass from it completed to McKay. The formation worked all game when used, but Anae did not stick with it. I wish he had because we were really good from it. If you rewatch, you will see it.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Lawboy wrote: The issue was not the running, but the formation. When BYU ran out of the I-formation, we ran it great. Dominated in fact, since Manase blocked so well from that formation. When we ran single back, or from a spread formation, the success was varied. I wanted BYU to run from the I all 2nd half long. I know it is old school, but I thought Anae should have stuck with it until they stopped it, then kept doing it and throw play action from it.
Perfectly said. I was telling my father all game, "Keep running it from the I until Utah can stop it!" We didn't do that, and it just about drove me crazy.

I think Anae is a good OC. We won the game. I also wonder if BYU could do better. Just like 90% of the fans wonder about their own team every year.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Sammich
Senior

Post by Sammich »

Lawboy wrote:The issue was not the running, but the formation. When BYU ran out of the I-formation, we ran it great. Dominated in fact, since Manase blocked so well from that formation. When we ran single back, or from a spread formation, the success was varied. I wanted BYU to run from the I all 2nd half long. I know it is old school, but I thought Anae should have stuck with it until they stopped it, then kept doing it and throw play action from it. In the 1st half TD, we ran 2 plays from the I to get the score for Harvey and overpowered them. We ran 1 play action pass from it completed to McKay. The formation worked all game when used, but Anae did not stick with it. I wish he had because we were really good from it. If you rewatch, you will see it.
That makes a lot more sense. I didn't notice the connection between the success of our runs and the formations they used.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

I still think that we ran WAY too much in the fourth quarter. The pukes brought 8-9 guys into the box and Anae decided that he could run out the clock with 12 min left in the game, C'MON!!

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,