Bowl Game Preparation

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Bowl Game Preparation

Post by scott715 »

Depending on the bowl we will be playing Dec. 22 or 23. Couldn't Bronco ask to be released from BCS consideration and start planning for practices for the bowl. They could stil take off almost 2 weeks for finals, throw a couple of practices in there and then practice upto the game. I have not looked at the calandar but a plan should be put in place now.

How many practices are they allowed? I think it is 15. Last year we did not use all of them and that hurt us in the game. Any good suggestions?

BroncoBot
Retired

Re: Bowl Game Preparation

Post by BroncoBot »

scott715 wrote:Depending on the bowl we will be playing Dec. 22 or 23. Couldn't Bronco ask to be released from BCS consideration and start planning for practices for the bowl. They could stil take off almost 2 weeks for finals, throw a couple of practices in there and then practice upto the game. I have not looked at the calandar but a plan should be put in place now.

How many practices are they allowed? I think it is 15. Last year we did not use all of them and that hurt us in the game. Any good suggestions?
I don't know if maximum prep at this point is going to help. Last year BYU was just were down and out at this point. If I was coaching I'd want my guys to have a break, get some R&R, get football off the mind, then come back and hit it hard until the bowl game. That way they wouldn't get emotionally drained by the time the bowl game arrived.

BUT..... I'm no Bronco Mendenhall, we'll see how it goes.

Florwood
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Florwood »

I'd heard the last several year how valuable those extra practices were, particularly in helping refine newer players. I believe last year BYU only used 9 of the 15 allowed practices. So it didn't seem like it was very important after all. But then, just like declocoug, I'm no football coach.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I would like to see those practices used on the younger players instead of wasting them. Couldn't you do practices where you tell the starters not to come and study instead? Even do a practice game with next years projected starters?

We need a new TE and S next year and 3 LBs.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

scott715 wrote:I would like to see those practices used on the younger players instead of wasting them. Couldn't you do practices where you tell the starters not to come and study instead? Even do a practice game with next years projected starters?

We need a new TE and S next year and 3 LBs.
I'll see what I can do. ;) Good ideas though.