Decieving the D

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Spudman87
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Decieving the D

Post by Spudman87 »

Just out of curiosity, could the play where Max faked like he was going to spike the ball at the end of the first half against SDSU(probably not the right game, but I cant remember which it was :blush: ) but ran in for the touchdown as time expired have been penalized under this same rule? I know that in high school football the referees are very protective of offensive players when the offense is either spiking the ball or kneeling to run the clock out, and wasn't sure if a team could get in trouble for acting like they were doing one or the other, but running a play instead, because the refs tell the defense to ease up on the play. Could his play have been considered "unfair"? :skeptic:
Oh, and in response to the thread I think that the real reason for the penalty is an unwritten rule that any attempts to fool our service men on the field should be considered an act of treason, and penalized to the maximum.........15 yards and no touchdown. GO COUGARS 8) :crazy:

Sammich
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Sammich »

Utah will run a very similar trick play next week, and not get flagged for it. Mark my words.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Here's where I see the difference: Hall was NOT moving toward our sideline, he was NOT looking to the coaches for a play to run or to call a timeout (unless the AFA coaches were going to tell him what to do), he simply was motioning for an audible. I understand it's just a detail, but that's where the exactness of football rules is found, in the details. It was a bad call and these HORRIBLE officials tried to cover their butt, yet it didn't work. :angry:

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

That memo is hores crap (and by "horse crap" I mean HORSE CRAP)

If the NCAA wants to have a rule prohibiting the fake time out, fake request for a new play, fake request for more information then make an actual rule. By having these "example plays" memos, you end up with the exact same play being run in two different games officiated by two different crews being called two different ways. Rules are only as good as they are uniformly enforced. By having these “fuzzy” not clearly-identifiable rules, you get stupid (and by "stupid" I mean stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid) Officials who think that a QB can get instructins from the 5 yard line (whereon one can be) of the opposing team’s sideline. We’re talking about college kids here, give them a bit more credit than this.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Spudman87 wrote:Just out of curiosity, could the play where Max faked like he was going to spike the ball at the end of the first half against SDSU(probably not the right game, but I cant remember which it was :blush: ) but ran in for the touchdown as time expired have been penalized under this same rule? I know that in high school football the referees are very protective of offensive players when the offense is either spiking the ball or kneeling to run the clock out, and wasn't sure if a team could get in trouble for acting like they were doing one or the other, but running a play instead, because the refs tell the defense to ease up on the play. Could his play have been considered "unfair"? :skeptic:
Oh, and in response to the thread I think that the real reason for the penalty is an unwritten rule that any attempts to fool our service men on the field should be considered an act of treason, and penalized to the maximum.........15 yards and no touchdown. GO COUGARS 8) :crazy:
Yes, by the way this play was interpreted, Max most definitely should have been flagged against SDSU for attempting to deceive the defense.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Florwood
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Florwood »

Another "example" in the NCAA memo says

4. Team A is trailing 38-34. Back A43 runs for a touchdown as the game clock goes to 0:00 in the fourth quarter, making the score 40-38 in favor of Team A. Team A’s coach tells the referee that his team will not attempt the try.
RULING: Because the margin is less than three points Team A must attempt the try. The result of the try could affect the outcome of the game. (8-3-2-a)

Does that mean that Bronco would now be penalized if he decides not to try the PAT,like he did in the 06 Utah game that we won 33-31--he didn't try a PAT to avoid the possibility of Utah blocking the kick and running it in for 2 points...

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Florwood wrote:Another "example" in the NCAA memo says

4. Team A is trailing 38-34. Back A43 runs for a touchdown as the game clock goes to 0:00 in the fourth quarter, making the score 40-38 in favor of Team A. Team A’s coach tells the referee that his team will not attempt the try.
RULING: Because the margin is less than three points Team A must attempt the try. The result of the try could affect the outcome of the game. (8-3-2-a)

Does that mean that Bronco would now be penalized if he decides not to try the PAT,like he did in the 06 Utah game that we won 33-31--he didn't try a PAT to avoid the possibility of Utah blocking the kick and running it in for 2 points...
No, becuase BYU did indeed attempt the PAT. It was a two point conversion attempt that saw John Beck sacked for a two-yard loss.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

kitic77 wrote:

No, becuase BYU did indeed attempt the PAT. It was a two point conversion attempt that saw John Beck sacked for a two-yard loss.
That's right. The refs made us snap the ball; but rather than risking a blocked kick attempt, they just kneeled down

Wickchad
All-American

Post by Wickchad »

ABYUFAN wrote:
kitic77 wrote:

That's right. The refs made us snap the ball; but rather than risking a blocked kick attempt, they just kneeled down
I still wish we would have kicked the extra point. The risk would have been worth the final score of 34-31 going against Utah this time.

UVACoug
BLUEshirt

Post by UVACoug »

Wickchad84087 wrote:
ABYUFAN wrote:
kitic77 wrote:

I still wish we would have kicked the extra point. The risk would have been worth the final score of 34-31 going against Utah this time.
Uh no. Utah could have blocked the kick and run it back for two points sending the game into overtime. Risk of losing the game vs. benefit of reaching some superstitious score?