Gary Anderson to Wisconsin

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Gary Anderson to Wisconsin

Post by EM_Puma »

YNot wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
a1247 wrote:Why would anyone think he isnt going to be good at Wisconsin? He was good at USU he should be good there.
He had one good year at USU. His overall record was 27-24. There's too little data to tell if they would continue to have great years because of good coaching, or if this year was simply an anomaly. There's plenty of reason to doubt he'll be successful, but there's evidence to support that he will be, as well. Only time will tell.
I do think Anderson is a good coach and wish him success. But, Utah State's 2012 record is inflated. Key conference wins were at LA Tech and SJSU. So USU is no pushover. But they rolled through cupcakes Idaho, NMSU, UTSA, and Texas State. Out-of-conference wins were over more cupcakes UNLV (2-11), Colorado State (4-8), and Southern Utah (FCS) and Utah (5-7), at home, in overtime. Lost on the road to us (7-5) and Wisconsin (8-5). Even with their bowl win over Toledo (9-4, the 3rd or 4th place team from the MAC) strength of schedule was #82 (per Sagarin http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt12.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).
No arguments there, but we're discussing whether Gary Anderson is a good coach, someone who took what limited resources he had and has built a program. I would have wanted to talk to him myself if I were hiring a coach as the AD. Sure, I think his W/L record has been inflated, same as ours has been in some years, but I think he has shown that he could do what needed to be done with limited resources and that can carry over to make him a successful coach at Wisconsin.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

YNot wrote:I hope his presence at Wisconsin gets BYU a couple more games against Wisconsin. Wisconsin has 2 openings on the 2014 schedule and 3 openings on the 2015 and 2016 schedules!

A home game against Wisconsin in 2014 could turn a decent schedule into a really good schedule.
Dang! I forgot about that. He's going to remember how BYU screwed him with a 2-fer. Think about it. BYU has only ever done a 2-fer with USU and no one else. He's not going to cut us any slack in that area and probably will be more motivated to flip his nose at us. There has been little question whether he thought USU got shafted in doing a 2-fer with BYU.

BerliNY
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BerliNY »

EM_Puma wrote:
YNot wrote:I hope his presence at Wisconsin gets BYU a couple more games against Wisconsin. Wisconsin has 2 openings on the 2014 schedule and 3 openings on the 2015 and 2016 schedules!

A home game against Wisconsin in 2014 could turn a decent schedule into a really good schedule.
Dang! I forgot about that. He's going to remember how BYU screwed him with a 2-fer. Think about it. BYU has only ever done a 2-fer with USU and no one else. He's not going to cut us any slack in that area and probably will be more motivated to flip his nose at us. There has been little question whether he thought USU got shafted in doing a 2-fer with BYU.
Doubt it. Alvarez will do all the negotiating, and the only school in Utah he's screwed is the one in Logan. Dude promised LAST WEEK that he was at USU for the long haul, and now?

Loyal Strong True
a1247
Heisman Winner

Post by a1247 »

BerliNY wrote:
EM_Puma wrote:

Doubt it. Alvarez will do all the negotiating, and the only school in Utah he's screwed is the one in Logan. Dude promised LAST WEEK that he was at USU for the long haul, and now?

A week ago I am sure this job wasnt an option to him. You would have to be plum crazy not to take this job and the 1.5 MILLION DOLLAR raise. Add in the talent and the football budget that makes USU look like a charity case and its a no brainer he like many many other coachs made an empty promise that when he said it im sure he ment it but had his fingers and toes crossed just incase.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

SpiffCoug wrote:Also rumors that he'll bring most of the current USU staff with him.

USU's program just died a spectacular death.
Bingo! That is a tough hit for USU football fans.

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

The loss of Anderson will hurt USU recruiting efforts for top in state recruits. Unfortunately for USU, some kids that may have had USU on their "serious consider" list, just crossed USU off. This can only help BYU with the in state recruiting battle.

I'm happy for Anderson - he has earned a top coaching job with how he performed at USU.

rblack
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by rblack »

Hey, just think, DJ Nelson could now change his commitment from USU to BYU because of this. We could have the Nelson Saga Part 2. :whistle: :bug: :gross: :sick:

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

a1247 wrote:
BerliNY wrote:
EM_Puma wrote:

A week ago I am sure this job wasnt an option to him. You would have to be plum crazy not to take this job and the 1.5 MILLION DOLLAR raise. Add in the talent and the football budget that makes USU look like a charity case and its a no brainer he like many many other coachs made an empty promise that when he said it im sure he ment it but had his fingers and toes crossed just incase.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
And this is a valuable life lesson, kids: be a man of your word, unless more money comes along...

"Would I ever leave this company? Look, I'm all about loyalty. In fact, I feel like part of what I'm being paid for here is my loyalty. But if there were somewhere else that valued loyalty more highly, I'm going wherever they value loyalty the most."

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougarfan87 »

Schmoe wrote:"Would I ever leave this company? Look, I'm all about loyalty. In fact, I feel like part of what I'm being paid for here is my loyalty. But if there were somewhere else that valued loyalty more highly, I'm going wherever they value loyalty the most."
Where is that quote from?

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Cougarfan87 wrote:
Schmoe wrote:"Would I ever leave this company? Look, I'm all about loyalty. In fact, I feel like part of what I'm being paid for here is my loyalty. But if there were somewhere else that valued loyalty more highly, I'm going wherever they value loyalty the most."
Where is that quote from?
C'mon now, Cougarfan, YOU should be the first of all posters to recognize this quote.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,