Gameplanning AFA

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
cachevalleycougar
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Gameplanning AFA

Post by cachevalleycougar »

Every year in the AFA week all the interviews you hear from players/coaches is how they have to adjust to and prepare for all the cut blocking that AFA does. Getting a helmet to the shins can't be pleasant, especially if it happens a number of times in a game. Why don't defenders wear shin guards when playing AFA? Is it not allowed under the rules?

Matty-B
Junior

Re: Gameplanning AFA

Post by Matty-B »

I'm not sure here... but I would have to assume they are legal. It seems like they would be the same as as wearing accessories such as the pads you can see here:

http://www.sportsdepot.com/fbforearm.html

Though it wouldn't seem like an issue to me personally, maybe for added weight and/or discomfort.

CAFB_04-12
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CAFB_04-12 »

I guess this is a good thread to talk about the "cut" or "chop" block.

The way I understand it is that the cut block is legal outside the tackles. Inside the tackles it is illegal. Any block on the lower body of a defender while that defender is engaged above the waist by a lineman is illegal everywhere on the field.

Is this correct?

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

CAFB_04-12 wrote:I guess this is a good thread to talk about the "cut" or "chop" block.

The way I understand it is that the cut block is legal outside the tackles. Inside the tackles it is illegal. Any block on the lower body of a defender while that defender is engaged above the waist by a lineman is illegal everywhere on the field.

Is this correct?
I believe it's that any block on the lower body of a defender while he is engaged above the waist by any opposing player, not just linemen, is illegal. I'm fuzzy on the rest of the cut blocking rules, because it's something that I don't think I'd consider using as a HS coach (which is where my thinking about football originates).

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Sounds correct. There is also an element that requires the blockers to be inside the tackles. It is also why in some formations and/or motions the AF players will line/stop their motion to be inside the tackles. If you have one foot inside the outside foot of the tackles, you are considered inside and then are eligible for different blocking techniques.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
cachevalleycougar
BLUEshirt

Post by cachevalleycougar »

I'm not wondering about the cut blocking rule, but about wearing additional protection on your legs/shins to protect them. Is there anything against that?