My intermediate solution to the BCS

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
UVACoug
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

My intermediate solution to the BCS

Post by UVACoug »

I am a big proponent of a playoff, but I don't think that is likely to happen anytime soon. So, I think there is an intermediate solution that can work to eliminate some of the systematic bias that is built into the distinction between BCS and nonBCS conferences. I can't take credit for this, because I heard it first from a friend, but I think it makes sense.

Instead of having certain conferences that have specific tie-ins to the BCS bowls, you change the rules so the top 6 conference champions in the BCS standings get automatic bids into BCS bowls. That rewards teams for winning a conference championship, leaves room for 4 at large bids for teams that play in tough conferences and deserve more than one bid (not always going to be the case), and keeps the BCS bowls from skipping over good teams like Boise State who deserve a BCS bid but are not members of a "BCS conference."

This year the following teams would likely get an automatic bid:

1 - SEC = Florida (1) /Alabama (2)
2 - Big XII = Texas (3)
3 - MWC = TCU (4)
4 - Big East = Cincinnati (5) (unless Pitt beats them, in which case Pitt would likely be ranked high enough to get an autobid for Big East anyways)
5 - WAC = Boise State (6)
6 - ACC = Georgia Tech (7) (unless Clemson wins the championship, in which case Ohio State or Oregon may slip into the 6th spot)

At large bids would likely go to (based only on BCS standings)

1 - SEC runner up (lock)
2 - Pittsburgh
3 - Ohio State
4 - Oregon

The end result seems like the fairest outcome this year and the BCS champs all get in (which would happen in most years, I believe). Some have suggested that the BCS just take the top 10 in the BCS standings, but I think conference championships should mean something and I don't think the polls need any more influence than they already have. Human and computer polls each have flaws that can't be fixed, so a system that completely relies on them will always be flawed. At least under this system, a team will have to win a conference championship to guarantee themselves a spot.

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: My intermediate solution to the BCS

Post by Mars »

Any system that replaces conference NAMES with conference NUMBERS is a good one.

Bad system: SEC champ gets auto-bid.
Good system: The 6 highest-ranked conference champs get an auto-bid.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars