TCU in the NC---playoff ramifications

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BYUTIME
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

TCU in the NC---playoff ramifications

Post by BYUTIME »

I'm really hoping that TCU doesn't get to the NC. If they do, pressure for a playoff will certainly wain.

As a proponent for a playoff, I think the best scenario would be for BSU and TCU to be the only undefeated teams in the country and neither get in. Part of me would love to see TCU (or BSU) in it, but I think long-term them getting in would be the final nail in the playoff coffin.

Interested in hearing you alls thoughts.

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: TCU in the NC---playoff ramifications

Post by Mars »

If they win though, the pressure for the MWC to be included as a BCS auto-qualifying conference will be through the roof!

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
BYUTIME
Recruit

Post by BYUTIME »

Mars wrote:
If they win though, the pressure for the MWC to be included as a BCS auto-qualifying conference will be through the roof!
Very true, though between the two I'd prefer a playoff over the MWC becoming a BCS conference.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

BYUTIME wrote:
Mars wrote:
Very true, though between the two I'd prefer a playoff over the MWC becoming a BCS conference.
I have to agree that I'd rather see a playoff than the MWC being a BCS conference.

UVACoug
BLUEshirt

Post by UVACoug »

BYUTIME wrote:I'm really hoping that TCU doesn't get to the NC. If they do, pressure for a playoff will certainly wain.

As a proponent for a playoff, I think the best scenario would be for BSU and TCU to be the only undefeated teams in the country and neither get in. Part of me would love to see TCU (or BSU) in it, but I think long-term them getting in would be the final nail in the playoff coffin.

I think it would actually increase pressure for a playoff. If there is going to change, it must come from the inside. If all the powers in the BCS conferences are pissed off because TCU got picked for an NC over them, they are much more likely to push for a playoff than if a bunch of nonBCS teams whine about not getting in. The only way the BCS system changes drastically is if teams like Texas, USC, or Oklahoma demand it.

mormonrasta
Junior

Post by mormonrasta »

BYUTIME wrote:I'm really hoping that TCU doesn't get to the NC. If they do, pressure for a playoff will certainly wain.

Do you think there would be outrage if BSU and TCU went undefeated and didn't get in the BCS championship game? Keep in mind that there was virtually no outcry when both Utah and BSU didn't get in last year and they were the only undefeated teams in the country.

People really don't care about BSU, Utah, or TCU.

There is not one scenario this year that would make college football change the BCS. What has to happen this year is the coaches that have a say from the WAC and MWC assert that their champion deserved to be considered for the national championship. That means if TCU finishes undefeated there better be a (1) next to their name in the coaches poll with Gary Patterson indicating that his team deserves to be considered the best team in the country. The UNLV, Wyoming, and Air Force coaches all have a vote and should honor the accomplishments of an undefeated MWC champion by voting TCU #1 as well. The same holds true for BSU and the WAC coaches that have a vote.

That didn't happen last year. Last year Utah and BSU finished the regular season undefeated. Both Kwhitt and Peterson had a vote. Neither coach believed that their team deserved to play for the NC and they voted their respective teams 5th accordingly and nobody from the MWC or WAC ranked them higher. They had absolutely no right to complain about the system when they were participants and had a say where their teams ended up.

If the MWC is serious about competing for a NC then they need to vote accordingly, otherwise all the complaining is just noise.

UVACoug
BLUEshirt

Post by UVACoug »

mormonrasta wrote:

Do you think there would be outrage if BSU and TCU went undefeated and didn't get in the BCS championship game? Keep in mind that there was virtually no outcry when both Utah and BSU didn't get in last year and they were the only undefeated teams in the country.

People really don't care about BSU, Utah, or TCU.

There is not one scenario this year that would make college football change the BCS. What has to happen this year is the coaches that have a say from the WAC and MWC assert that their champion deserved to be considered for the national championship. That means if TCU finishes undefeated there better be a (1) next to their name in the coaches poll with Gary Patterson indicating that his team deserves to be considered the best team in the country. The UNLV, Wyoming, and Air Force coaches all have a vote and should honor the accomplishments of an undefeated MWC champion by voting TCU #1 as well. The same holds true for BSU and the WAC coaches that have a vote.

That didn't happen last year. Last year Utah and BSU finished the regular season undefeated. Both Kwhitt and Peterson had a vote. Neither coach believed that their team deserved to play for the NC and they voted their respective teams 5th accordingly and nobody from the MWC or WAC ranked them higher. They had absolutely no right to complain about the system when they were participants and had a say where their teams ended up.

If the MWC is serious about competing for a NC then they need to vote accordingly, otherwise all the complaining is just noise.
Pat Hill (Fresno State) voted Boise State higher than Chris Petersen did. Petersen voted Boise State #7 in the final coaches' poll.

BYUTIME
Recruit

Post by BYUTIME »

mormonrasta wrote:

There was lots of outrage last year. And there would be even more If TCU repeated Utard's performance this year and blew out a very respectable BCS opponent and was the only undefeated team at the end of the season.

UVACoug
BLUEshirt

Post by UVACoug »

BYUTIME wrote:
mormonrasta wrote:

There was lots of outrage last year. And there would be even more If TCU repeated Utard's performance this year and blew out a very respectable BCS opponent and was the only undefeated team at the end of the season.
Not the kind of outrage that motivates change.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

declocoug wrote:
BYUTIME wrote:
Mars wrote: If they win though, the pressure for the MWC to be included as a BCS auto-qualifying conference will be through the roof!
I have to agree that I'd rather see a playoff than the MWC being a BCS conference.
Agree.
Playoffs > BCS + MWC

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars