TCU in the NC---playoff ramifications

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: TCU in the NC---playoff ramifications

Post by Schmoe »

1. The change WILL have to come from the inside of the BCS. School's like Texas, Florida, Bama, etc. are more likely to complain and push for a playoff when they get left out, so TCU in the NC game is a good thing.

2. Realistically, a playoff is a long way off in the future, but an auto-bid to the BCS and maybe a +1 game are around the corner. Take what we can get for now and continue to press for the change that we want.

3. I think that the perfect condiment for burgers is baconnaise, and it should replace mayonnaise at all burger places.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
88Coug
Recruit

Post by 88Coug »

TCU in the BCS title game would make the big boys angry, sort of like BYU's 1984 title leading (along with a lot of independents winning the MNC and the SEC not having a title for a dozen years) to Roy Kramer to create the Bowl Coalition, Bowl Alliance and BCS..... TCU winning the BCS title would get a playoff even faster.

The big boys would put in the plus-one, which is, of course, a playoff..... and would lead to more.....

BYUTIME
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BYUTIME »

88Coug wrote:TCU in the BCS title game would make the big boys angry, sort of like BYU's 1984 title leading (along with a lot of independents winning the MNC and the SEC not having a title for a dozen years) to Roy Kramer to create the Bowl Coalition, Bowl Alliance and BCS..... TCU winning the BCS title would get a playoff even faster.

The big boys would put in the plus-one, which is, of course, a playoff..... and would lead to more.....
Wouldn't a plus one just match up post bowl undefeated teams? If TCU is in the NC, there's not going to be an undefeated BCS team that wasn't invited to NC.

I agree the big conferences wouldn't be happy about TCU being there, but not so sure they'd kill their cash cow to prevent it from happening again.

Like 84, they may change some things, but how would going to a more inclusive playoff make them more money (than they get under the current system) or better guarantee that they'd get a champion? It's more likely that they'd just modify their formula a bit (like making SOS a bigger factor) to give big conferences a larger advantage.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

88Coug wrote:TCU in the BCS title game would make the big boys angry, sort of like BYU's 1984 title leading (along with a lot of independents winning the MNC and the SEC not having a title for a dozen years) to Roy Kramer to create the Bowl Coalition, Bowl Alliance and BCS..... TCU winning the BCS title would get a playoff even faster.

Could be true. Especially since I think TCU has a good shot against anyone this year.

mizzoucoug
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by mizzoucoug »

I guess it's impossible to say what effect this will have on whether it encourages a playoff or furthers the BCS cause. I mean they hold all the power anyway. They'll make everyone happy by adding the MWC when the time comes and they'll then get to stay in power. I guess if the BCS conferences push for it then that could do something, but we all know that we'll never get the Pac-10 or Big-10 to go that direction, so it'll be up to the rest of them to make a change.