Fans Egged Jaime Hill's House

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Fans Egged Jaime Hill's House

Post by Mars »

"What happened to Cougar defensive coordinator Jaime Hill over the weekend of Oct. 24 is unconditionally wrong. Hill found himself filing a police report and scrubbing eggshells and crusted yolk off his car. Yes, it happened in polite Provo. And Hill is angry. "It's actually good there was no one in the house around," Hill said. "It could have been ugly."

Hill's car was pelted, he's convinced, because the Cougars lost 38-7 to the Horned Frogs of TCU. He'd be the first to say the team played poorly, but this? This was personal. His was the only car on the block that was pelted, which makes it obvious to him that a "fan" was sending a message.

...Some of this doesn't surprise former Cougar signal caller Robbie Bosco, the leader of the 1984 national championship team and now a prominent fundraiser for the program... It did, however, surprise him to hear of recent transgressions that went beyond mere jeers. He said he was not aware, during his playing days, of teammates or coaches being personally harassed...

"It's unbelievable," said assistant coach Hill. "It's not like we're 0-6. We're 6-2 and still have a lot of goals in front of us. Twenty-one years of coaching and I've never seen anything like it." ...Some Cowboy hecklers have been known to become Neanderthals when the Cougars come to town, several current and former players will attest. But that's still better than getting harsh treatment from people who are supposed to be on your side, Hill said. "It's definitely getting to them," Hill said. "When you don't want to play in your own stadium? Come on. These guys aren't getting booed anywhere else."

Mendenhall, 44-13 as BYU's head coach, said he receives a UPS truck full of hateful e-mails as well as phone calls during a season, and he says the venom has not been any more concentrated since the TCU game than at other times... Mendenhall sounded hurt that one of his assistants was a target of harassment. Hill came aboard in 2006 to install a new defensive scheme (3-4) built around BYU's steady corps of linebackers, rather than the secondary-heavy philosophy that Mendenhall brought to Provo but struggled to stock with quality recruits. Hill was a hero his first season, greatly improving BYU's pass defense. He worked his way up to defensive coordinator last year, and Mendenhall handed over play-calling duties this season."He's a guy who's here doing a good job, and has helped us win a lot of football games," Mendenhall said.

Hill was a hero after the Labor Day weekend victory over Oklahoma. Steadily, the scrutiny has grown as BYU's defense has consistently revealed chinks in its armor. And now Hill is scrubbing egg off his car.

...While the number of negative incidents in Cougartown may be small, it's still too big for Hill and Mendenhall. Mendenhall summed it up: "I would hold friends, or even enemies, to a higher standard.""

http://heraldextra.com/news/local/artic ... c010f.html
Last edited by Mars on Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Schmoe
Retired

Re: Fans Egged Jaime Hill's House

Post by Schmoe »

While I stand behind coach Hill 100%, I don't think you can rush to judgment that it was angry fans. Kids egg houses and do stupid things all the time. I had neighbors who claimed that everything bad that people ever did to them was because they were not members of the LDS church. I remember when a store got egged on a Sunday and they claimed it was because they weren't closed on the LDS Sabbath. Then other stores got egged on other days and they just looked stupid. It may have been ridiculous ZOOBIES (that's right, I said it because it would apply if that were the case), but it may very well have been stupid kids and an unfortunate coincidence. Usually around Halloween these kind of shenanigans are more common.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

There are so many young idiots in among us that I wouldn't put any major importance on such an event. I feel sorry for him to have edured such stupidity and if I were his neighbor, I'd be out there helping him getting it cleaned up. You just can't make sense out of teenagers and you really never have been able to. There are so few with genuine common sense.

I just can't believe all the things I did as a teenager to vandalize. There's no doubt we were loose cannons and deserved to be thrown in jail to teach us a lesson, but we were too good to be caught, and the funny thing is that I grew up and now I can't even imagine the thoughts of the stuff I did back then. It's hard for me to really believe I did what I did and that I'm now the same person. Luckily I kept it to myself when I had teenagers of my own and they didn't know of my escapades so that they would think it was okay. They were all genuinely good and only one of them got caught up in such stupidity while the six others did not. I think he's coming out of it okay though now and one day will feel as I now do.

I wish there was a positive way of letting the coach know we appreciate him that would really let him know that we do.

mcgregor
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: Cougar Law

Post by mcgregor »

Let's be realistic guys, there's a 99.9994% chance this was related to the TCU loss.

Sure, it's be great if this was a coincidence, but it wasn't. And I think we all know that.

Whoever did this deserves to have their knees replaced.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

mcgregor wrote:Let's be realistic guys, there's a 99.9994% chance this was related to the TCU loss.

Sure, it's be great if this was a coincidence, but it wasn't. And I think we all know that.

Talk about fans being spoiled. BYU fans piss me off sometimes. This kind of thing is embarrassing to everyone associated with BYU sports, fans included.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

mcgregor wrote:Let's be realistic guys, there's a 99.9994% chance this was related to the TCU loss.

I just had my minivan egged last month in the middle of the day on a Sunday. Who eggs a minivan? What I was surprised to learn was that the egg itself wasn’t that bad to clean off, but the impact of the shell actually cuts through the clear coat and makes a noticeable round scratch in the side of one’s car. (oh and mine was the only vehicle that was egged on the whole street too - I looked)

I'd put the odds of it being related to the TCU loss at about 70% but I think it's a distinction without a difference. Questions that pop up in my mind:

Who knows where Coach Hill lives?

Aren't the people who know where he lives a little old to be egg throwers?

Did those people even watch the game?

Why didn't they throw eggs after FSU?

Has anybody else noticed that the price of eggs has skyrocketed lately (or is that just a California thing?)

More than a cry for breaking kneecaps, I’d be more satisfied with a good public shaming of the perps.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

I would place it at the feet of teenagers who happen to be BYU fans. Teens do stupid things. They are impulsive, destructive, do not even think about consequences, and think that they are being funny or clever when they are not. We all went through it and know this is the truth. But the people who did this are simply reckless and an embarrassment.

By the way, who are the idiots sending Bronco hate emails? That is a joke! Send him scheme suggestions, not hate mail. Sheesh.

Sammich
Senior

Post by Sammich »

Does Hill have any teenage kids? I know when my parents had teenagers we were specifically targeted multiple times with pranks, and never related to anything we did, just the fact that people knew the kids that lived there.

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

This is sickening. Whether it had to do with TCU or not, this is sickening. Coach Hill is a fine person, a fine father, a fine man. He also happens to be a good coach.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

I think the question of "What can us good BYU fans do for Coach Hill to help make up for this?" is a good one. I'd personally pay for him to have eggs at IHOP if I could, and it wouldn't even be a recruiting violation! I have no real ties to the team or school administration though.

As for my personal feelings, I'm still a very big fan of Coach Hill as a defensive Xs and Os coach, and I bet he's still underpaid for the value he brings us (I have heard rumors about some players being offended by his rough speech, but those are just rumors for now as far as I'm concerned). I also think he's helped us tremendously in landing the huge defensive talent upgrades in the most two recent recruiting classes (VanNoy would have made a HUGE difference in the FSU game, had he not got that DUI and had been playing this year). I know how much Bronco appreciates Coach Hill, and I hope he stays at BYU for a long time.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars