Who is more Negative- Media or Fans?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Who is more Negative- Media or Fans?

Post by Mars »

IMO, a lot of what the media prints gets blames on the fans. Gary Patterson talked about how BYU was a circus last year in how they talked before the TCU game; I think he was confusing the local papers for the school, coaches, and players. We hear BYU haters talk down to us about how all we did after the Oklahoma win was talk about BCS bowls and National championships; I think many are unfairly ascribing ESPN talking-heads' opinions to all BYU fans everywhere. And finally, now, many wonder why their fellow Cougar diehards can come across as so negative about a 9+ win season. Well, I think that once again, our stupid Utah media is leading the way for what those of lesser IQs are regurgitating onto the airways and into the forums. One example: http://heraldextra.com/sports/college/b ... c24a5.html

Is it just me, or are Dickson and Franchuk coming across as massively whiny douches?

"As much as Cougar fans would like to believe change can happen, I just don't see it. This team is... who we thought they were... good enough for a bowl game and nothing more."

"It's a sure-thing 3-1, with the loss probably coming to you-know-who. It's been made pretty clear right now that Kyle Whittingham and his staff have done a superior job... That's how disappointing of a season it's become."

The dinks even complain about one of the BYU track & field/cross country teams not winning the MWC for once. Lame. Pointless negativity makes weak writing.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Italics
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Who is more Negative- Media or Fans?

Post by Italics »

I'm gonna save any severe negativity or optimism for the end of the season.

As I can, it's gonna go one of two ways:

1) Out with a bang (our players pull their heads out of their butts and put the smack down on AFA, Utah, and our bowl game opponent), or
2) Out with a far (we lose to AFA, Utah, and go to a pathetic bowl)

a lot of it is gonna hinge on how convincingly we play and beat Wyoming. How we play against our lesser opponents always has been a good indicator of how prepared we are for the tougher opponents.

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

I can honestly say this, no Utah county publication has any good coverage of the Cougars since Dick Harmon went to Deseret News.

I think Franchuk became disenfranchised with BYU when he got his degree there (which is understandable, as many people expect it to be perfect because it's the Lord's university, and of course, it is anything but perfect). His snide remarks seem to go beyond 'avoiding the appearance of homerism by bringing up negativity,' I think he literally doesn't like the school.

Darnell I don't have much to say about, I think his job as sports editor means he spends little real time on the Cougars.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

I think it is the role of the media to be inquisitive and they often come across as cynical. National media is very unbiased because they literally do not care once you lose, just follow you when you are on top. Local media has more biases, especially in this state, where guys attend one school or another, or are of one faith or another.

Fact is, I do not need my BYU news baby fed to me, I can take it like a big boy. I do not need the media to just cover all that is great about BYU or the team or its players. BYU is far from perfect, just like me. But I just want to see that the people in positions of authority are busting their tails to improve the team and to win. Because that is why you play the games--to win, to improve, to relish in the challenge.

If it gets to the point where I think that the BYU football program, or any other sports program, is just becoming an extension of the missionary program, i may be out. I love the missionary program and support it, just do not want to feel like the team I support is there just to feed kids into it. I want to see the team focused on football, on winning, and let the rest happen in the background.