Recruit Watch 11/03

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Recruit Watch 11/03

Post by Mars »

http://heraldextra.com/sports/college/b ... 9b468.html

• Watch out: BYU commit Hauoli Jamora (6-2 230 DE) was a defensive terror as Kahuku (Hawaii) edged Castle 19-14 in the OIA Red Conference semifinals. Jamora logged five sacks for minus-39 yards. Viliami Pasi scored on a 1-yard touchdown run for Kahuku with 27 seconds left to win the game. "We worked hard to get here," Jamora told the Honolulu Advertisor. "We've had a lot of close games, now we have to get ready for one more. Our coaches told us that we needed to bring the heat and that's what we did." Kahuku (10-0) will play Leilehau at Aloha Stadium for the Red Conference championship on Friday.

• Just getting started: BYU commit Collin Keoshian (6-2 225 LB/RB) accounted for seven touchdowns in Santa Clarita Christian School's 54-6 victory over Los Angeles Lutheran, a game called shortly before halftime due to the mercy rule when a second LAL player went down with an injury. Keoshian carried five times for 93 yards and four touchdowns and was 5-of-5 passing for 100 yards and three more scores in just one half of play. "(Keoshian's) a man playing against boys," L.A. Lutheran head coach Tony Eubelhardt told the Santa Clarita Signal. "He's a big kid. He's much bigger than he looks. We were trying to tackle him up high and he was stiff-arming people. ... He's a great player."

• Shootout: Bingham (Utah) held on to beat Jordan 62-42 in the first round of the Class 5A playoffs. BYU prospect Harvey Langi (6-1 208 RB) carried 21 times for 159 yards and four touchdowns for Bingham, scoring on runs of 9, 54, 3 and 33 yards. "Longest game I ever played in," Langi told the Deseret News. "It was exciting all the way to the very end of it. I can't wait until next week." Bingham (10-1) will host Syracuse in Friday's quarterfinals.

• The mighty have fallen: Despite three touchdown passes from BYU commit Jake Heaps (6-2 195 QB), top-ranked Skyline lost to Bothell 25-20 in the KingCo 4A league championship game. Heaps was 19-of-35 for 233 yards and threw touchdown passes to Kasen Williams (10 yards) and Cooper Pelluer (22 and 11). Skyline's last chance came on a fourth-and-29 in the final minutes but it couldn't convert.

• Moving on: Pleasant Grove, with BYU commits Joey Owens (6-2 215 LB), Bryan Sampson (6-4 215 TE/WR) and Austin Heder (6-2 230 LB/RB), advanced in the Utah Class 5A playoffs with a 36-21 win over Riverton. Pleasant Grove travels to play Davis in Friday's quarterfinals.

• Home for the playoffs: Alta (Utah) and BYU commit Jordan Black (6-7 230 OL) moved on to the 5A quarterfinals with a 38-14 win over Fremont. Alta will host Cottonwood on Friday in the quarterfinals.

• Defense: Lone Peak, led by BYU commit Sae Tautu (6-3 215 LB), held high-scoring West Jordan to just a single touchdown in a 27-6 victory in the first round of the Utah Class 5A playoffs. Lone Peak travels to Hunter for the quarterfinals on Friday.

• Great numbers: BYU commit Drew Phillips (6-0 185 RB) of Boaz (Ala.) is one of the top running backs in state history. Phillips ranks third in career rushing attempts with 852 and 22nd in career rushing yards with 5,393. Phillips has gained 1,707 yards on 287 carries this season and scored 16 touchdowns, including two on kickoff returns and one on a punt return. Boaz enters the state playoffs this week by hosting Athens.

• Can't keep a good man down: Limited by a shoulder and thigh injuries, BYU commit A.J. Moore (5-10 190 RB) is still pretty effective. Moore ran for 165 yards and caught five passes for 103 yards, scoring two touchdowns in a 49-37 victory for Murrieta Valley (Calif.) over Great Oak.

• Sick: BYU prospect Joshua Quezada (6-0 198 RB) of La Habra (Calif.) missed Friday's game because of the flu. His replacement, sophomore Ahmed Avery, rushed for 198 yards and two touchdowns on 16 carries as La Habra blasted Troy 47-17.

• Back on track: Brooks School (Mass.) rebounded from its first loss of the season with a 31-7 victory over Governor's Academy. BYU commit Jordan Johnson (5-10 175 QB/DB) keyed a 21-0 third quarter burst with a 23-yard touchdown pass and a 23-yard touchdown run. Johnson finished with 16 carries for 107 yards and two touchdowns, adding 100 yards and a touchdown on 9-of-14 passing.

• Can't stop him: Park Hills Central (Mo.) keyed on BYU prospect Brandon Bourbon (6-1 209 RB) but Potosi still came away with a 20-6 victory. Bourbon was held to just 61 yards and one touchdown on 20 carries. But he also returned a kickoff 84 yards for a touchdown, breaking three tackles on his way to the end zone.

• Long distance: Oakridge School (Texas) outlasted Episcopal 64-34 to finish the regular season 8-1. BYU commit Ross Apo caught four passes for 145 yards, scoring on receptions of 49 and 39 yards.

• That's the end: BYU commit Algernon Brown (6-1 205 RB) saw his season come to an abrupt end in Skyline's 31-7 Utah Class 5A playoff loss to Syracuse. Brown caught a 24-yard touchdown pass to open the scoring but a knee injury knocked him out in the first quarter. He did not return to the game.

• He's a Gopher: Josh Huff (5-10 185 RB) of Houston Nimitz de-committed from Utah last month and explored other options, including BYU. Reports out of Texas have Huff committing to the University of Minnesota. Huff rushed 12 times for 128 yards and three touchdowns as Nimitz downed MacArthur 36-15.

• Welcome back: After struggling with injuries most of the season, Timpview's Bryson McKenzie (6-0 215 RB), a BYU prospect for the Class of 2011, finally got healthy enough to contribute. In Timpview's 35-7 victory over Olympus in the first round of the Utah Class 4A playoffs, McKenzie scored on a 9-yard touchdown run. Timpview (8-2) hosts Spanish Fork on Friday in the quarterfinals.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Recruit Watch 11/03

Post by hawkwing »

Let me just chime in that these recruit watch posts are some of my favorites!

ProV1
Sophomore

Post by ProV1 »

I think Phillips is going to be a special player.

Sammich
Senior

Post by Sammich »

Is it just me or does it seem like we have a lot of good running backs coming in? Will any of them be moved to new positions or are we just loading the stable?

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Sammich wrote:Is it just me or does it seem like we have a lot of good running backs coming in? Will any of them be moved to new positions or are we just loading the stable?
Keoshian will be a MLB.
Phillips may be a slot WR.

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

Hey Mars - great post. Great - super - good stuff! Thx.

ProV1
Sophomore

Post by ProV1 »

Mars wrote:
Sammich wrote:Is it just me or does it seem like we have a lot of good running backs coming in? Will any of them be moved to new positions or are we just loading the stable?
Keoshian will be a MLB.
Phillips may be a slot WR.
Why not keep Phillips at RB? What's his size? His speed seems good and he looks elusive. If he plays as a freshman next year, Harvey will be a senior, DiLiugi a junior, who else would take snaps away from him? From the albeit few clips I've seen he looks real good.

Florwood
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Florwood »

Oh, so when you said Quezada was sick you meant like with flu, not sick in that he scored a bunch of touchdowns...

Thanks for the report, it was great!

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Thanks Mars.

I'm just starting to follow recruiting and these updates have been awesome.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Thank the daily herald. They post an update every week, and I just repost here with a link. I really enjoy them myself.