Helpful Wyoming facts

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Helpful Wyoming facts

Post by BoiseBYU »

Saturday's game is big! So I think we ought to know about our opponents, at least the State they hale from.

Wyoming gets its name from an Algonquin Indian word, "wa-ho-men", meaning "what happened to the women?"

The state motto of Wyoming is "Gone With The Wind Has Got Nothing On Us"

In 1869, Wyoming was the first state to grant women the right to vote. It also was the first state to insist that its pregnant citizens walk barefoot.

Rising nearly 1300 feet above the surrounding lands, Wyoming's Devil's Tower was designated as America's first National Monument in 1906. Nothing much has risen that high since except for a certain digit attached to Coach Glenn during a certain Utah Wyoming football game.

The first "Dude Ranch" was the Eaton Ranch near Wolf, Wyoming. The Eatons were the first to use the word "dude" and this shows that Wyomingians are skater boys at heart.

The horse featured on Wyoming's license plate is named "Old Steamboat." And here I thought the horse's name was "Big Mac" or "Quarterpounder"

Established in 1886, the Laramie County Library located in Cheyenne, Wyoming, is one of the oldest continually operating county libraries in the United States. Recently, the library doubled its size with the addition of the Encyclopedia Britannica, 2007 edition.

Wyoming's Nellie Tayloe Ross was the first woman Governor elected in the US. This emancipated the Wyoming woman such that since then, not one has felt a need to shave

It is true that Cody, Wyoming was named after William "Buffalo Bill" Cody. A little know fact is that Athol, Wyoming is named after Ted Turner, but by someone who was drunk that day and was slurring his speech.
Last edited by BoiseBYU on Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Helpful Wyoming facts

Post by hawkwing »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

wazzucoug97
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by wazzucoug97 »

Thanks for the laugh, I needed it today! :lol:

CougarClaw
Pro

Post by CougarClaw »

Also the only state that forces you say "WHY?" each and every time you talk about it.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

BoiseBYU wrote:Someone who was drunk that day and was slurring his speech.
You mean your average, everyday Wyomingian?

wazzucoug97
Recruit

Post by wazzucoug97 »

On our way to Iowa to visit in-laws, via I-80; we had stopped for gas somewhere where there was nothing but a gas station, a lot of dirt and some oil wells. My wife gets out of the car and exclaims "WHO WOULD WANT TO LIVE IN THIS WASTELAND?!" :lol:

GO COUGARS!!!
Cougarpoke
BLUEshirt

Post by Cougarpoke »

I always hate this time of year...I grew up in Wyoming and actually love the state. It was and is a great place to live (despite whatever any utahite or U-tard as some Wyoming people call them). I went to BYU for undergrad and Wyoming for grad school. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about Wyoming (but have and always will bleed blue). However, every time this game comes along, I of course cheer for BYU, and have to get razed by all the Wyoming fans. I then come to this board and talk to all my friends from BYU and hear you all rip on the great state of Wyoming. Don't get me wrong, I have a great sense of humor and found the Wyoming facts and other Wyoming jokes somewhat funny. It just puts me in a bad spot where I don't want to get to defensive. That being said, there is nothing greater then rubbing in the fact that BYU kills Wyoming. They don't understand that BYU sees it as another game and that it is no longer a rivalry. Ah well, I guess all I am saying is that the state isn't full of redneck, inbreeding, sheep loving, idiots, that many of you and your wives think it is. Go BYU!!

cachevalleycougar
BLUEshirt

Post by cachevalleycougar »

Cougarpoke wrote:the state is full of redneck, inbreeding, sheep loving, idiots
Well put!

See how easy it is to misquote someone?

:lol:

wazzucoug97
Recruit

Post by wazzucoug97 »

Cougarpoke wrote:I always hate this time of year...I grew up in Wyoming and actually love the state. It was and is a great place to live (despite whatever any utahite or U-tard as some Wyoming people call them). I went to BYU for undergrad and Wyoming for grad school. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about Wyoming (but have and always will bleed blue). However, every time this game comes along, I of course cheer for BYU, and have to get razed by all the Wyoming fans. I then come to this board and talk to all my friends from BYU and hear you all rip on the great state of Wyoming. Don't get me wrong, I have a great sense of humor and found the Wyoming facts and other Wyoming jokes somewhat funny. It just puts me in a bad spot where I don't want to get to defensive. That being said, there is nothing greater then rubbing in the fact that BYU kills Wyoming. They don't understand that BYU sees it as another game and that it is no longer a rivalry. Ah well, I guess all I am saying is that the state isn't full of redneck, inbreeding, sheep loving, idiots, that many of you and your wives think it is. Go BYU!!
Ok, I forgot to add that I told her that Star Valley and the Jackson Hole area are quite scenic.... I have been to both a few times.... but you have to admit that most of the I-80 route leaves something to be desired.

GO COUGARS!!!
Cougarpoke
BLUEshirt

Post by Cougarpoke »

Why do you think I-80 is where it is. It is ugly. I actually grew up in one of the towns along I-80 and didn't think it was too bad a place to live. I also didn't think it was the most scenic. I guess I fail to understand what that has to do with football?