11/3 Bronco talk Execution--defines it more

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

11/3 Bronco talk Execution--defines it more

Post by Lawboy »

Good article. Bronco put it on execution, but I think went in to more detail with what he means by it. In particular, he mentions getting more pressure on the QB, and the LBs covering pass plays needing improvement. So if that is what Bronco means by that, then it makes sense.
Bronco said:
"While many get tired of hearing me say this, execution still had a lot to do with our last setback versus TCU, not only in the secondary, but in terms of pressure, and in terms of coverage by the linebackers," Mendenhall said. "But there were a lot of really positive plays. So concentration, execution in itself, will be the main things [we try to correct]. When you give up a one-play drive, whether it be in a pass play or a long run, those things change momentum very quickly. So that's the main thing we have to do is just to focus."

So the question I have is, if it keeps happening over and again vs. top opponents, is it more than poor execution, but perhaps limited ability that leads to poor execution? As to the front 7 this year, I think this is the case. In years past (2006, 2007), the front 7 is solid and the D excels.

Complete article here:
http://www.sltrib.com/collegesports/ci_13699450

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: 11/3 Bronco talk Execution--defines it more

Post by hawkwing »

Nice.

I think this is something we can all agree on needs to improve, and if this is what Bronco is specifically talking about (or at least part of what he's talking about) when he talks about Execution, I agree with him that execution needs to improve.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

Our defense is a linebacker driven defense, our Linebackers are sub par this year and that is why the defense is struggling. If we can get some good linebackers in there over the next couple of years, the defense will get much better. Back in 06 and 07 we had great linebackers and our defense was tops in the conference. Now our linebackers are under talented and thus our defense struggles.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

frdbtr wrote:Our defense is a linebacker driven defense, our Linebackers are sub par this year and that is why the defense is struggling. If we can get some good linebackers in there over the next couple of years, the defense will get much better. Back in 06 and 07 we had great linebackers and our defense was tops in the conference. Now our linebackers are under talented and thus our defense struggles.
I think it is more than this though, and not fair to put it all on the LB position. I think the D-line deserves a good portion of the blame as well, as lack of pressure is also an issue which Bronco identified. The D-line is struggling this year with a pass rush. Good in run D contain though, but can not get to the QB. Combine these 2 things and it really puts too much pressure on the secondary.

By the way, I think Pendleton is really good at his position. Clawson is good. Hooks is ok. Bauman is good in run D, but really struggles with pass defense. I hope part of the new substituting means they bring him out on passing situations, and put in more speed at that position.

Short_Change
Freshman

Post by Short_Change »

Clawson also really struggles in pass coverage. I thought Grant Nelson was one of the best if not the best in pass coverage. I wish they'd put him in more especially in passing situations.