Future Opponents?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Future Opponents?

Post by scott715 »

Who would you schedule assuming that you can get an agreement? Do 1 for 2 or do you have any other ideas?

BYU has said they will not do a 2 for 1 deal. What about a 1 for 1 with a game at a neutral site? Kind of like the game with Oklahoma?

It seems that is really hard to get a deal with BCS teams. Who do we schedule? ASU and Washington have backed out of deals.

Tulune and Northern Iowa just don't do it. Here are some feasable ideas:

Notre Dame
Navy (RPI 34 and looking for matchups)
Kansas St
Houston
Stanford (they did a deal before)
Tulsa

I guess anothe strategy would be to take the rpi ratings and start at the top and go down and until you find someone.

With TCU and Utah on the schedule, 3 top 60 games can work if we can't get a top 25 team.

On a side note, the bottom of our conference need games that they can win instead of against BCS team. Losing those games hurts us where winning records are better. The BCS teams schdule a lot of Divsion II games to just get wins and to be bowl elibilble.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Future Opponents?

Post by hawkwing »

Never ever do another 2 for 1.

My dream schedule would be to try to get more mid-western teams on the schedule, from the patsies to the big names. No more pac10.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

I'd take Navy and Houston in a heartbeat. I'd take Notre Dame and K St. with some reservation (situations where you can get screwed by officials or where they cancel a return trip). I'd stay away from the PAC-10 because they've proven to be cheating sacks of crap.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Wickchad
All-American

Post by Wickchad »

I would take a 2 for 1 with Notre Dame. They play here first, we play there, and the third year they get to be the home team in the Alamo Dome.

Any big name school that agrees to a 1 for 1 I would require them to play in Provo first, like FSU did. Then they can't back out of a trip to Provo.

I do not want to see any Pac 10 team on the schedule. That is getting old and we are likely to play them in the bowl game.

Would love to see some Big 10 teams like Minnesota, Northwestern, Iowa State, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa.

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

What would playing someone like houston do for us. lose lose there.

I would schedule the best teams you can. 2 for 1 or not, who cares. The more big games the better.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

The Utes have gone after ACC and Big East teams successfully. If they can do that with their stadium, we sure can. I say we look east. 1 pac 10 opponent each year, USU, BSU, then add a ACC, Big 10 or Big East foe. I guess Big 12 would be good, too. big 12 North in particular. I am guessing those teams may not want a piece of BYU, though.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Lawboy wrote:The Utes have gone after ACC and Big East teams successfully. If they can do that with their stadium, we sure can. I say we look east. 1 pac 10 opponent each year, USU, BSU, then add a ACC, Big 10 or Big East foe. I guess Big 12 would be good, too. big 12 North in particular. I am guessing those teams may not want a piece of BYU, though.
No one fears the utes though.

Except those seals in alabama.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

I would love to see us play anyone and everyone from the Big 10.

mormonrasta
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by mormonrasta »

declocoug wrote:
Lawboy wrote:The Utes have gone after ACC and Big East teams successfully. If they can do that with their stadium, we sure can. I say we look east. 1 pac 10 opponent each year, USU, BSU, then add a ACC, Big 10 or Big East foe. I guess Big 12 would be good, too. big 12 North in particular. I am guessing those teams may not want a piece of BYU, though.

They should. They have been much better in nonconference games than BYU has in recent history.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

mormonrasta wrote:
declocoug wrote:

They should. They have been much better in nonconference games than BYU has in recent history.
But when talking about scheduling it doesn't matter what others' perceptions SHOULD be, it only matters what they are. And if teams are more scared to play us than the Utes, then we will have a harder time scheduling opponents regardless of how well each team has actually played OOC.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,