Coach Omer... approved of by the Rugby Team

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Coach Omer... approved of by the Rugby Team

Post by hawkwing »

So I have a class with one of the guys on the Rugby Team, and the other day our teacher never showed up, so we sat around and talked about Rugby, and sports in general at BYU. He said that he often worked out with players from the football team in the weight room so I asked him what he thought of Coach Omer and his methods. He mentioned that he knows that some people have said they don't like the way he does things, but as far as he felt Coach Omer was a big cuddly teddy-bear who put on a tough face for the workouts. He said his workouts were incredibly difficult, but extremely effective and very well rounded. He said that the weight lifting routines can be so intense that some of them literally throwup during their lifts.

I don't have any inside information other than this one conversation with someone who has worked with him, but I know the team is stronger since he got here than they were before. Our guys at the combine are often in the top 10 in lifting.

CougarClaw
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Coach Omer... approved of by the Rugby Team

Post by CougarClaw »

I love anecdotes like this.

True or not, it provides another side to the harsh words I've read the last few weeks about Omer's training regimen on the site-which-shall-not-be-mentioned.

I mean, how else can you explain all the hamstring injuries AND losing mcKay to a stretching injury?

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Somthing to think about. When you push anyone to the extreme muscular build, the chances of going over the edge increases. I will never have those kinds of injuries because I have not maxed out my build. Injuries are a symptom of built kids. It appears that Omer is doing his job. Maybe too well.

wazzucoug97
Recruit

Post by wazzucoug97 »

scott715 wrote:Somthing to think about. When you push anyone to the extreme muscular build, the chances of going over the edge increases. I will never have those kinds of injuries because I have not maxed out my build. Injuries are a symptom of built kids. It appears that Omer is doing his job. Maybe too well.

This makes sense. In the past 3 yrs, that I have gotten back to the gym consistently I have increased my bench by 40lbs... slowly. I have never maxed. At 41 I am lifting more than I did at 18.... but I just don't want to risk injury so I never max any of my lifts. There is a former BYU trainer (retired) up in Heber, where I live. I have seen him training some of the local H.S. kids, never seen him promote max lifting.... but some of his workouts I hear are brutal... in a repetition and movement/motion way.

GO COUGARS!!!