Fiery Leaders

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Fiery Leaders

Post by BroncoBot »

jonnylingo wrote:
mcgregor wrote:
jonnylingo wrote:
hawkwing wrote:I suspect you already know the answer to this question, or at least suspect the answer to most of these questions is a resounding 'No!' I think when I hear people talking about the team lacks leadership I think of it as the players leadership that is lacking, not as much the coaching staff.

I think we need vocal leaders on the team that inspire their teammates to put the extra hours into film study, route running, etc. I think these are things that Beck, Kehl, Jensen, were able to do, but this team doesn't have that leader.
I don't know, it seems to me that the players feel too constrained in the system to feel like any of them can stand out and be a fiery leader. being too fiery may get you a scolding from Bronco.
Personally, I don't buy this theory.
Well you saw chambers get scolded after he almost returned a kick for a td right? You have heard btatements where he takes down any clippings on the bulletin board if he sees them right? It makes some sense.

have you heard the players after the game. you can tell they are saying just what coach wants them to say. they sound like robots, miniature broncos.

maybe i am exxagerating but i get annoyed with the lack of emotion and passion for football taht bronco conveys. doesn't he say that he doesn't even like going to games?
We all remember the "scolding" (I think lesson) that was administered by Bronco to Chambers. Bronco was simply telling him that self-aggrandizement wasn't encouraged. Had Chambers been pumped and been appropriately celebrating with the rest of his team Bronco wouldn't have uttered a single word to him.

You can be fiery, emotionally invested, and a good teammate without looking like a self promoting jackass. Bronco being Bronco, only encourages the first. And I stand behind him 100% on this one.

mcgregor
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: Cougar Law

Post by mcgregor »

jonnylingo wrote:
mcgregor wrote:
jonnylingo wrote: I don't know, it seems to me that the players feel too constrained in the system to feel like any of them can stand out and be a fiery leader. being too fiery may get you a scolding from Bronco.
Personally, I don't buy this theory.
Well you saw chambers get scolded after he almost returned a kick for a td right? You have heard broncos statements where he takes down any clippings on the bulletin board if he sees them right? It makes some sense.

have you heard the players after the game. you can tell they are saying just what coach wants them to say. they sound like robots, miniature broncos.

maybe i am exxagerating but i get annoyed with the lack of emotion and passion for football taht bronco conveys. doesn't he say that he doesn't even like going to games?
I have nothing to offer other than my personal opinion, fwiw, that the lack of leadership and fire has more to do with the personalities in leadership positions than outside constraints placed by the coaching staff.

Also, I don't think Bronco is as stoic as you think he is. You need more than a few camera shots on a Saturday.

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Post by Mars »

catholicmat wrote: NO! BYU has not had a FIERY leader since the GENERAL was on the team! :twisted:
Personally, I've always been drawn to root for the crazy BYU players like the Marquardts and Buckholdts, that LITERALLY want to crack your skull open and feast on the gooey insides.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars