Fiery Leaders

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
cachevalleycougar
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Fiery Leaders

Post by cachevalleycougar »

Does this BYU team have any fiery leaders? I'm not an insider, so I'm throwing this out hoping someone may have some insight.

Max is a fiery competitor, but is he a true leader ala Beck/Doman/Detmer?

Scot Johnson is a leader - he directs the whole defense - but is he fiery and does he inspire confidence in his teammates?

Are any of our LBs able to lead the defense to greater things like Cameron Jenson or Brian Kehl did?

Unga and Tonga have the undipsuted respect of everyone - fan and player - but do they lead the offense to step their game up like Fui and Curtis Brown would?

Pitta is arguably the greatest TE in BYU history, but does he get everyone fired up like Harline would, or inspire them by leaping over players and breaking tackles like Chad Lewis? Do his teammates play better because of him?

Does this team have individuals who are more than just good (or even great, in some cases) players?

Is this team just what they are, and we as fans are looking for something that simply isn't there and won't manifest itself for the rest of this season? Or are there individuals who will come to the forefront through their play and their leadership so that we blow teams up over the next month? We don't have on OU remaining on the schedule, so it has to come from within.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Fiery Leaders

Post by hawkwing »

I suspect you already know the answer to this question, or at least suspect the answer to most of these questions is a resounding 'No!' I think when I hear people talking about the team lacks leadership I think of it as the players leadership that is lacking, not as much the coaching staff.

I think we need vocal leaders on the team that inspire their teammates to put the extra hours into film study, route running, etc. I think these are things that Beck, Kehl, Jensen, were able to do, but this team doesn't have that leader.

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

hawkwing wrote:I suspect you already know the answer to this question, or at least suspect the answer to most of these questions is a resounding 'No!' I think when I hear people talking about the team lacks leadership I think of it as the players leadership that is lacking, not as much the coaching staff.

I think we need vocal leaders on the team that inspire their teammates to put the extra hours into film study, route running, etc. I think these are things that Beck, Kehl, Jensen, were able to do, but this team doesn't have that leader.
I don't know, it seems to me that the players feel too constrained in the system to feel like any of them can stand out and be a fiery leader. being too fiery may get you a scolding from Bronco.

mcgregor
Freshman
Prediction Group: Cougar Law

Post by mcgregor »

jonnylingo wrote:
hawkwing wrote:I suspect you already know the answer to this question, or at least suspect the answer to most of these questions is a resounding 'No!' I think when I hear people talking about the team lacks leadership I think of it as the players leadership that is lacking, not as much the coaching staff.

I don't know, it seems to me that the players feel too constrained in the system to feel like any of them can stand out and be a fiery leader. being too fiery may get you a scolding from Bronco.
Personally, I don't buy this theory.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Staffieri had an interesting perspective on the motivation/leadership issue today on Gooch's site:

http://deepshadesofblue.com/motivation- ... you-do-it/

It sounds like the team is at an awkward 'tweener stage where not everyone is motivated by the same tactics, and that the blase might stem from that.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

mcgregor wrote:
jonnylingo wrote:

I disagree Lingo, having heard Bronco speak many times about how this is the UPPER CLASSMEN's team, he's only there to help them, I think he's trying to say desperately to his players SOMEONE STEP UP AND TAKE ON THE ROLL OF LEADER.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

hawkwing wrote: I suspect you already know the answer to this question, or at least suspect the answer to most of these questions is a resounding 'No!'
:(

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
dank80
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by dank80 »

I talked to an aqcuaitance the other day who spends a lot of time with the team on the sidelines, in the locker rooms etc. I asked him this same question. "Who is the team leader in the locker room?" He kind of had to think about it for a while. He didn't really have much of an answer. Max is the only one he could think of as far as anybody who even remotely steps up as a vocal team leader.

I thought it was kind of an odd respones and a bit troubling. If he had to think that hard to come up with a name of a team leader, it tells me that there's definitely a lack for leadership from the players.

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

mcgregor wrote:
jonnylingo wrote:

Well you saw chambers get scolded after he almost returned a kick for a td right? You have heard broncos statements where he takes down any clippings on the bulletin board if he sees them right? It makes some sense.

have you heard the players after the game. you can tell they are saying just what coach wants them to say. they sound like robots, miniature broncos.

maybe i am exxagerating but i get annoyed with the lack of emotion and passion for football taht bronco conveys. doesn't he say that he doesn't even like going to games?

catholicmat
Gray Shirt

Post by catholicmat »

NO! BYU has not had a FIERY leader since the GENERAL was on the team! :twisted: