Logic and Speed

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
mcgregor
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: Cougar Law

Logic and Speed

Post by mcgregor »

Mr. Staffieri posted the following on his blog, Deep Shades of Blue:

http://deepshadesofblue.com/speed-and-m ... -the-game/

In large part, I agree with Markell. I do differ in opinion in some respects.

1. Markell states that smart football can negate speed. I believe it mitigates against speed, but I cannot go so far as to say it negates it. Besides, inherent in the game of football is the simple fact that the offense knows where it is going, and the defense does not (this rule, obviously, does not apply to UNLV).

2. I can't agree that this year's TCU squad had less speed than teams in years past. My best friend out of HS is "related" to that program, and insists that these new kids Patterson is bringing up is TCU's best ever, and fastest ever.

3. Finally, it defies logic that you would fail to recruit speed, even if "smart ball" is your game. If Player A and Player B are equally "smart" (ie- equally well-coached), wouldn't you want Player A, if that meant he got to the right place on the field 2 seconds before Player B? Playing "smart" football and playing "fast" football are not mutually exclusive goals.

Recruit speed. Implement the right scheme. Coach the speed to execute the scheme.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Logic and Speed

Post by frdbtr »

I agree with both you and Markell. Speed kills but good coaching can minimize the effects of lack of speed. BYU is trying to upgrade thier speed on both offense and defense by moving safeties to linebacker and such. Frankly, I think that issues we have been seeing with the 2 blowouts against BYU is a TCU team that is working very hard to beat BYU in its off season preperation and a BYU team that absolutely does not know how to keep fighting when the game is out of hand. I think it has to do with the current leadership on the team which is something you alluded to in another post mcgregor. I am afraid that utah is going to do the same thing to us as well which is not a pleasant thought.

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Logic and Speed

Post by Mars »

mcgregor wrote: inherent in the game of football is the simple fact that the offense knows where it is going, and the defense does not (this rule, obviously, does not apply to UNLV).
Hey, lay off the Rebels! I mean, they got their first conference road win in a blue moon this week, right? I heard they might throw a parade...

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars