DEFENSE

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
SenorCougar
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: DEFENSE

Post by SenorCougar »

[/quote]In order for us to pressure, we have to bring 5 or 6. And if the pressure does not get their in time, we give up big plays.[/quote]

And since they will probably ultimately score anyway, what do we have to lose? In fact, some of the time, we'll probably get the sack or a loss in yardage. I recall one series vs TCU where they lost yardage and was like 2nd and 29. The next play gave them a gain and they were 3rd and 12. The next play they had a first down. And it wasn't because a DB got burned. It was simply playing to keep everything "in front of them" regardless of the yardage given up. Ultimately, TCU scored. So I'm not so sure we give up a lot by trying to put heat on the QB with defensive schemes and taking our chances with the "one-on-one" DB coverage.

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: DEFENSE

Post by BroncoBot »

#2 on McG's list is the one that sticks out the most to me this year. I've heard a lot of people ripping the secondary, but that DL gets NO pressure, SDSU tore BYU apart because they had so much time to throw it. When you face a team like TCU, its going to end up costing too many points. Without that pressure the "bend but not break" philosophy turns into "bent and broken".