Bronco = STUBBORN?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Bronco = STUBBORN?

Post by BroncoBot »

I'll take the Bronco Mendenhall that gets 10-11 wins every year and keeps the BYU football program respectable as long as he's willing to stick around. Sammich is exactly right about the Crowton years. Dark. Cold. Embarrassing.

I think a lot of us fans might be able to learn from Bronco's lack of emotion, if that's what you want to call it. I know I could.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

jonnylingo wrote: he better be putting together a gameplan for utah right now during they bye week.
That's one of those "we wish it were true, but it isn't" kind of things.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

declocoug wrote:I'll take the Bronco Mendenhall that gets 10-11 wins every year and keeps the BYU football program respectable as long as he's willing to stick around. Sammich is exactly right about the Crowton years. Dark. Cold. Embarrassing.

I think a lot of us fans might be able to learn from Bronco's lack of emotion, if that's what you want to call it. I know I could.
Lack of emotion means bronco's record against ranked teams is ..... what? I am thinking like 2 and 8 or something. Where is our statistician? Bronco is beating who he should be, but so it Utah but they are also beating those teams that shouldn't more than they lose. Bronco should ask why this is?

Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

I think the OU win is partially to blame because we got that win playing a certain way, I think the staff figured it would be good enough to beat every other team on schedule this year. And they have been proven wrong twice now. In fact, comments after the OU game by OU proved otherwise. They said they expected BYU to come out in their basic vanilla packages, and they were unprepared for the wrinkles BYU threw in there with the blitzes. Imagine that, catching an opponent off guard actually working. yet vs FSU we played base formations most of the game, and against TCU when we rushed the least we got toasted the most.

I think the philosophy of sitting back and making your opponent make plays only works against poor team with bad QB play. Against good teams, and especially teams with good QB's, BYU needs to game plan them and mix it up more. Different formations, different looks, and keep them guessing. You may get burned occasionally, but I like aggressive play.

wazzucoug97
Recruit

Post by wazzucoug97 »

Wasn't it TCU in '07, that they had the ball at the end and Bronco finally blitzed on consecutive plays to stop the drive? This after basically playing the bend don't break D all game. (IIRC)

You would think historically Bronco would remember that sometimes it works to 'bring the house" from time to time, and not just the end of the game when the opposing QB has picked you apart all game. How about hitting him hard on the 1st couple of drives?

GO COUGARS!!!
jonnylingo
All Star

Post by jonnylingo »

Lawboy wrote:I think the OU win is partially to blame because we got that win playing a certain way, I think the staff figured it would be good enough to beat every other team on schedule this year. And they have been proven wrong twice now. In fact, comments after the OU game by OU proved otherwise. They said they expected BYU to come out in their basic vanilla packages, and they were unprepared for the wrinkles BYU threw in there with the blitzes. Imagine that, catching an opponent off guard actually working. yet vs FSU we played base formations most of the game, and against TCU when we rushed the least we got toasted the most.

I think the philosophy of sitting back and making your opponent make plays only works against poor team with bad QB play. Against good teams, and especially teams with good QB's, BYU needs to game plan them and mix it up more. Different formations, different looks, and keep them guessing. You may get burned occasionally, but I like aggressive play.
I would like to say this post is perfect. I endorse it 100 percent. Not sure how Bronco doesn't see that to beat teams with good coaches and good players you have to change things up to keep them guessing. he did it against ou, then stopped. not a coincidence that it was one of the only games he has won against a ranked team.

jonnylingo
All Star

Post by jonnylingo »

wazzucoug97 wrote:Wasn't it TCU in '07, that they had the ball at the end and Bronco finally blitzed on consecutive plays to stop the drive? This after basically playing the bend don't break D all game. (IIRC)

You would think historically Bronco would remember that sometimes it works to 'bring the house" from time to time, and not just the end of the game when the opposing QB has picked you apart all game. How about hitting him hard on the 1st couple of drives?
On that note, Patterson still had dalton in with a few minutes to go. If I were Bronco, I would have brought a 12 man blitz with instructions not to stop until you hit the quarterback. Take the penalty but show Patterson he is being stupid leaving his qb in at that point.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

When talking about Utah "beating who they are supposed to" please, please, please keep in mind that they got skunked by UNLV just two years ago, and that they had one good year in the last four.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

jonnylingo wrote:
declocoug wrote:I'll take the Bronco Mendenhall that gets 10-11 wins every year and keeps the BYU football program respectable as long as he's willing to stick around. Sammich is exactly right about the Crowton years. Dark. Cold. Embarrassing.

Lack of emotion means bronco's record against ranked teams is ..... what? I am thinking like 2 and 8 or something. Where is our statistician? Bronco is beating who he should be, but so it Utah but they are also beating those teams that shouldn't more than they lose. Bronco should ask why this is?
I disagree for a few reasons.

1. We'll never know the outcome of those games had the players been juiced emotionally. They could have still fallen short.
2. I'm a cougar fan first and don't really care what utah does.