Execution

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Sammich
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Execution

Post by Sammich »

Gunk wrote:
cougsnspurs4life wrote:I'm just tired of words. Every time we play a good team, we lose, and then we hear vague references and subtleties about improvement and execution, and "credit to (winning team), they have a great head coach. He has them really moving in a good direction..."
Don't forget "teaching moment." That one bugs me most.
That's another one you're going to hear a lot more, because even when (or if) the coaches learn the necessary lessons, the players are still just college kids. I think once they get to the pros you can expect them to be perfect, but until then there's going to be a lot of teaching going on.

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

Sammich wrote:
Gunk wrote: Don't forget "teaching moment." That one bugs me most.

That's another one you're going to hear a lot more, because even when (or if) the coaches learn the necessary lessons, the players are still just college kids. I think once they get to the pros you can expect them to be perfect, but until then there's going to be a lot of teaching going on.
I don't think anyone wants Bronco to stop teaching his players. BUT, when you call blowout losses like the one vs. TCU "a teaching opportunity", and then later in the week announce that officially, nothing needs to be changed, that the program is all good, and that the loss was due to only a few simple mis-executions, well, that just rings as both hollow and false to many.

In other words, don't say you will learn from a loss and then continue to repeat the same mistakes that were horribly exposed in that loss. That's just stupid.
Last edited by Mars on Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Sammich
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Sammich »

Mars wrote:
Sammich wrote:

I don't think anyone wants Bronco to stop teaching his players. BUT, when you call blowout losses like the one vs. TCU "a teaching opportunity", and then later in the week announce that officially, nothing needs to be changes, that the program is all good, and that the loss was due to only a few simple mis-executions, well, that just rings as both hollow and false to many.

In other words, don't say you will learn from a loss and then continue to repeat the same mistakes that were horribly exposed in that loss. That's just stupid.
Good point.

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

Mars wrote:
Sammich wrote:

I don't think anyone wants Bronco to stop teaching his players. BUT, when you call blowout losses like the one vs. TCU "a teaching opportunity", and then later in the week announce that officially, nothing needs to be changed, that the program is all good, and that the loss was due to only a few simple mis-executions, well, that just rings as both hollow and false to many.

I'm putting most of these Mendenhall quotes in the "I don't really want to talk to the freaking media about this stuff" category. There's a lot running through Mendenhall's head that he just doesn't want to say in public.

If that's the case, I'm fine with it.