Why beating TCU COULD be good for the conference

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
mcgregor
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: Cougar Law

Why beating TCU COULD be good for the conference

Post by mcgregor »

Sure, TCU beating BYU and then winning a BCS game would be good, but TCU losing wouldn't be that bad, either.

If TCU loses but wins out, and BYU wins out, then you have two MWC teams with one loss. Their only BCS competitor is BSU. Sure, BSU will likely be undefeated, but you will have TONS of national debate of whether a one-loss MWC team is more deserving of a BCS berth than an undefeated WAC team.

National pundits will note that MWC is a tougher conference, thereby making the MWC argument for us. They will comment on how difficult it is to make it through an MWC schedule as opposed to a WAC schedule. They will discredit BSU stats on one hand while boosting the credibility of MWC stats. No one will claim that the WAC competes with a BCS conference (lie the Big East), but there will be plenty of pundits insisting that the MWC is better than the Big Least, and possibly better than the ACC (kindly excusing BYU's indiscretion against FSU considering how awful FSU has turned out to be).

So, if I'm a UNLV fan (one of the 4), then sure, I'd rather TCU win out and see a case made that TCU is more deserving than BSU. But I would hear the same arguments, and perhaps more vehemently, if TCU loses.

nycougar
Gray Shirt
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Why beating TCU COULD be good for the conference

Post by nycougar »

I agree with this. The other (even better) scenario, of course, is that Boise State loses. Even though they have an easy schedule it's very hard to go undefeated. Even the best teams have off games. If they lose and BYU wins out, BYU is in, period. That's why it never makes sense to me when people say BYU's chances for the BCS are a long shot. All it takes is a Boise loss and us winning.

cscoug
BLUEshirt

Post by cscoug »

I agree, McGregor.

However, it would be better for BYU if it wins out and plays a 1-loss Utah team at the end of the year. That way BYU will finish the season with a win against a top 15 team. Perception at the end of the year always carries more weight. We would be in the BCS top 12 and maybe top 10 after that. Depending on what the Rose Bowl does (they promised to take a non-AQ it they didn't get a Pac10-Big 10 matchup) there is a slim (1%) chance BYU and BSU get a bid...at least here's to believing in a pipe dream.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

The MWC has never finished the regular season with two teams with one or less losses before.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Mars wrote:
The MWC has never finished the regular season with two teams with one or less losses before.
What about TCU and Utah last season?

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

snoscythe wrote: What about TCU and Utah last season?
TCU had two losses, to Oklahoma and to Utah. I wasn't saying combined.

The ideal is an undefeated team, a 1-loss team, and a 2-loss team. But that can't happen this year.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Mars wrote:
snoscythe wrote: What about TCU and Utah last season?
TCU had two losses, to Oklahoma and to Utah. I wasn't saying combined.

The ideal is an undefeated team, a 1-loss team, and a 2-loss team. But that can't happen this year.
No, my bad....I thought TCU only had the Utah loss last season. You're right, I'm wrong. You're attractive, I'm not that good-looking, etc. :)

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

snoscythe wrote: No, my bad... I thought TCU only had the Utah loss last season. You're right, I'm wrong. You're attractive, I'm not that good-looking, etc. :)
Anyone covered in blue paint is all good in my book. :D

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

mcgregor wrote:Sure, TCU beating BYU and then winning a BCS game would be good, but TCU losing wouldn't be that bad, either.

If TCU loses but wins out, and BYU wins out, then you have two MWC teams with one loss. Their only BCS competitor is BSU. Sure, BSU will likely be undefeated, but you will have TONS of national debate of whether a one-loss MWC team is more deserving of a BCS berth than an undefeated WAC team.

National pundits will note that MWC is a tougher conference, thereby making the MWC argument for us. They will comment on how difficult it is to make it through an MWC schedule as opposed to a WAC schedule. They will discredit BSU stats on one hand while boosting the credibility of MWC stats. No one will claim that the WAC competes with a BCS conference (lie the Big East), but there will be plenty of pundits insisting that the MWC is better than the Big Least, and possibly better than the ACC (kindly excusing BYU's indiscretion against FSU considering how awful FSU has turned out to be).

So, if I'm a UNLV fan (one of the 4), then sure, I'd rather TCU win out and see a case made that TCU is more deserving than BSU. But I would hear the same arguments, and perhaps more vehemently, if TCU loses.
I agree with your thinking but frankly I care a lot more about BYU then the stupid conference. If you are secretly hoping that TCU go undefeated and go to a BCS Bowl, then you are not a true BYU fan.