The tables are turned.

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
mcgregor
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: Cougar Law

The tables are turned.

Post by mcgregor »

I'm linked Jay Drew's blog just for the heck of it: http://blogs.sltrib.com/byu/index.php

The point is that last year, BYU was not overwhelmed by TCU's athleticism--BYU simply forgot to show up. They took their egos, but left their head.

This year, the same will hopefully be true for TCU. They are starting to field a lot of BCS chatter. Hopefully they will be distracted when they show up here.

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: The tables are turned.

Post by Mars »

mcgregor wrote: last year, BYU was not overwhelmed by TCU's athleticism--BYU simply forgot to show up. They took their egos, but left their head.
This excuse doesn't help explain the Utah and Arizona losses. Did they still think they were all that after 24 and 25-point losses? Did they forget to show up in one of every four games played last season?

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
mcgregor
Freshman
Prediction Group: Cougar Law

Post by mcgregor »

Mars wrote:
mcgregor wrote: last year, BYU was not overwhelmed by TCU's athleticism--BYU simply forgot to show up. They took their egos, but left their head.
This excuse doesn't help explain the Utah and Arizona losses. Did they still think they were all that after 24 and 25-point losses? Did they forget to show up in one of every four games played last season?
Yes. And I think if you spoke to just about any of the players, they would agree.

I never said TCU was not athletic; in fact, they are more athletic than we are. They probably always will be. But this has been the case since 2005 when they entered the conference. This was the case when we beat OU. It's been the case each time we've played Arizona. And it's often been the case when playing Utah these past few years.

If athletic superiority was the only factor in winning a game, we would have lost 100% of the games against these teams. But it's not. It takes game planning, game preparation, focus, health, and a combination of myriad factors. Last year, we were not psychologically prepared to compete against TCU's athletic superiority. Had we been, we could have nullified that superiority, much like we did against OU. But we didn't.

Saturday, we will have the opportunity to face an athletically superior team, but if the team is prepared, we will win.

Short_Change
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Short_Change »

My take on last year is that the offense was overconfident and thought they were better when they were. The defense on the other hand seemed to have a very low self-esteem and weren't confident and were very passive. I lived with some of the defensive players and they never seemed sure of themselves. The mindset of the offense and the mindset of the defense were polar opposites, neither of them having a good mindset.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

mcgregor wrote: Yes. And I think if you spoke to just about any of the players, they would agree.
That's not good.

Has anything changed? Because the Florida State game tells me, no.

CAFB_04-12
All-American

Post by CAFB_04-12 »

What what about the OU game? That BYU defense looked quite good, and though OU was missing Bradford I thought the team looked very prepared. So, did BYU just not prepare enough for FSU? I doubt it, but I think the fact that the game was going to be at LES the players thought they could just show up and win. I doubt anyone thinks that against TCU.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

CAFB_04-12 wrote: What what about the OU game? That BYU defense looked quite good, and though OU was missing Bradford I thought the team looked very prepared.
OU's offensive gameplan was awful, and didn't attack our weaknesses at all.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Mars wrote:
CAFB_04-12 wrote: What what about the OU game? That BYU defense looked quite good, and though OU was missing Bradford I thought the team looked very prepared.
OU's offensive gameplan was awful, and didn't attack our weaknesses at all.
You can't totally discredit BYU's defense vs OU. When they did try to attack our weaknesses (I'm assuming you meant by passing more) OU's QBs were getting sacked left and right. Stoops is no idiot. BYU's D decided to show up for that game.