BYU 34 TCU 17

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
mcgregor
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: Cougar Law

BYU 34 TCU 17

Post by mcgregor »

BYU will show up mentally prepared. They've savored the sour taste in their mouth for a full year. They are hungry. TCU crushed our hopes of a BCS breakthrough last year, but now the tables are turned. TCU hasn't faced an opponent this year nearly as good as BYU. They are sitting pretty in the Top 10. They know they carry a full stable of superb athletes. They know they are typically well-coached.

But this Saturday, they will face a BYU team will more speed than last year, more plays in the playbook, more focus, and 64,000 fans cheering them on. Max Hall will be razor sharp, and have a breakout game against a quality opponent (since we've seem to have forgotten about OU). Russell Tialavea will be there to ease pressure off Jan and a healthy Denney. Brandon Bradley will be back in full force.

Despite the coach-speak, the coaches and players have prepped for this game well beyond this week. On Saturday, they will show it.

BYU 34
TCU 17

Sammich
Senior
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU 34 TCU 17

Post by Sammich »

I'd love to see a re-run of 2006. Hope you're right in every respect!

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

I, for one, am more than a little worried about this game. After the Oklahoma game, I thought our defense was going to be stellar this year, similar to the upgrade from '05 to '06. Then FSU happened. The games against CSU, USU, and SDSU have done nothing to assuage my fears that the defense might not be that good. It seems to me that we are on the same old cycle where we have to rely on the offense to win games. Perhaps if there was something someone could point to that explains the defensive drop off from the OU game to now, I would feel much more comfortable. But I haven't seen any one thing other than we played really well against OU--with a nastiness that we weren't going to let anyone beat us--and I haven't noted that level of intensity since.

That has me worried for both TCU and the Ewe. Even without our best games, we can beat the rest of the teams on the schedule (though we have to bring at least a B game for some of them). I think we need an A game from the defense to beat TCU because their defense is nasty, and I think Dalton can cause us fits. Here's to hoping the defense that played Oklahoma shows up from whatever vacation they have been on. The offense has been there slugging it out.
Last edited by Cougarfan87 on Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

mcgregor wrote:BYU will show up mentally prepared. They've savored the sour taste in their mouth for a full year. They are hungry. TCU crushed our hopes of a BCS breakthrough last year, but now the tables are turned. TCU hasn't faced an opponent this year nearly as good as BYU. They are sitting pretty in the Top 10. They know they carry a full stable of superb athletes. They know they are typically well-coached.

But this Saturday, they will face a BYU team will more speed than last year, more plays in the playbook, more focus, and 64,000 fans cheering them on. Max Hall will be razor sharp, and have a breakout game against a quality opponent (since we've seem to have forgotten about OU). Russell Tialavea will be there to ease pressure off Jan and a healthy Denney. Brandon Bradley will be back in full force.

Despite the coach-speak, the coaches and players have prepped for this game well beyond this week. On Saturday, they will show it.

BYU 34
TCU 17
McGregor this reminds me of your predictions of the UCLA game last year, and I remember arriving at the stadium and walking around under the east stands where I saw Coach Anae walking around with a huge grin on his face, joking with the few fans (this was a good 2 hours before kickoff). I thought 'wow, mcgregor was right, this team knows they have prepared for this team and will come out sharp.' I hope BYU is just as prepared against TCU and dismantles them.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

McGregor you are way more optomistic than me, why should I be Johny Raincloud? I previously predicted BYU 31 TCU 25; I'd be happy to be wrong and you be right on this one!

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

BYU 21
TCU 24

Andy Dalton is left free to complete 15-yard passes all game long, and we still haven't learned how to stop the direct snap to the RB. Hughes gets his against Max Hall, and we lose the turnover battle. Kerley puts TCU in good field position with his returns all night.

Here's hoping mcgregor is right and I'm wrong.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
CAFB_04-12
All-American

Post by CAFB_04-12 »

Because I can't find it in my heart to pick against BYU for any reason, I pick BYU 21 TCU 20. But I'm afraid that we showed up for our big game already against OU. Can BYU show up twice in a season and beat two top 10 teams in one season? That would be an especially great season with the only blemish against a bad FSU team.

imuakahuku
All-American

Post by imuakahuku »

mcgregor wrote:BYU will show up mentally prepared. They've savored the sour taste in their mouth for a full year. They are hungry. TCU crushed our hopes of a BCS breakthrough last year, but now the tables are turned. TCU hasn't faced an opponent this year nearly as good as BYU. They are sitting pretty in the Top 10. They know they carry a full stable of superb athletes. They know they are typically well-coached.

BYU 34
TCU 17
Don't know if they score 34 but I have a feeling that we win by 17 too.

Italics
Heisman Winner

Post by Italics »

BYU by 3 in double OT

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care
kiwibacon
All-American

Post by kiwibacon »

Italics wrote:BYU by 3 in double OT
My heart could not take a game that intense today...I feel sick just thinking about the emotional roller coaster a game like that would be. :(

I don't prognosticate too often but today I will say

BYU by 7.