Agree with Bronco or Disagree?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Agree with Bronco or Disagree?

Post by Mars »

Considering TCU coach Gary Patterson's propensity for finding "bulletin board material" to motivate his team, Mendenhall says his general philosophy is such material "has no bearing." He says his players might occasionally post motivational clippings on the BYU bulletin board, and "if I see 'em, I'll pull 'em down."

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=498&sid=8364676

I don't get it.
That doesn't sound like "Let's relax and have more fun this season!" to me...

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Agree with Bronco or Disagree?

Post by Cougarfan87 »

I am going to have to disagree with Bronco on this one. I love his recruiting philosophy and his focus on execution. But I disagree on not jacking players up for big games with bulletin board material. Its a motivational technique, and sometimes all that is needed to carry a victory. Remember when Georgia rushed the field after the touchdown. They had an edge the rest of the game and beat what a lot of people considered a superior Florida team.

A lot of teams successfully use bulletin board material to get their players up for a big game. If Bronco is saying every game is the same, or the players need to be up equally for every game, I disagree. First of all, winning every game is important, no doubt. But every game is not the same. And it is impossible to be up for every game. That is why teams drop a game here and there. Up to now, this treating every game the same philosophy hasn't worked. Do you really thing the team playing Oklahoma was the same team on the field vs. FSU? I think KWhitt's and Gary Patterson's ability to get their teams up to play BYU is the reason they always have an edge on us, even when we are athletically superior.

TCU embarassed the :evil: out of us last year. We should be jacking up the players to play them.

There is a down side to this. If your players are jacked up, it can lead to making some mistakes early on in the game. However, I would trade the few early mistakes for playing with a tenacity all game long that I don't always see out of the cougars (or any team for that matter). If using bulletin board material is what it takes to do that, so be it.

Anyway, that's just my opinion.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
Sammich
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Agree with Bronco or Disagree?

Post by Sammich »

If given the choice between treating every game the same and using something Jason Franchuk wrote, I'd go for the even keel every time. That said I don't think it hurts to let the players get more excited about specific games.