Franchuck = Douche

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Franchuck = Douche

Post by Mars »

At least to me this week:

When talking about getting his team ready to play, TCU head coach Gary Patterson has said "we have to find a way to hate somebody for three hours." He should have no problem doing that with BYU on the schedule this Saturday; we already know about the BYU helmet and jersey on the tackling dummy in the TCU weight room. And now we know Patterson reads the papers in an attempt to motivate his players.

From the Fort Worth Star-Telegram:

Gary Patterson said he has kept up with the news coming out of BYU since spring. So a comment at the end of a Sunday column by Jason Franchuk in the Provo Daily Herald drew Patterson's attention. "I just read something in their paper today," Patterson said, as he recited the last few lines of Franchuk's column, which concludes with 'TCU isn't that tough.' "This is a big ballgame. I don't have to [tell my team]. I just have to put that [clipping] downstairs," Patterson said.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=498&sid=8362866

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Franchuck = Douche

Post by Cougarfan87 »

See, I think that if I read that quote, it would piss me off. I would have something to prove. On that first play, I would remember the quote and try to squash every player on the other side of the ball. Anyway, I like the tactic of using bulletin board material. I don't like that Frachuck is providing it. TCU is not that tough? Is he serious?

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
makulit
Recruit

Post by makulit »

Patterson's the douche. If the guy goes looking for these quotes, he's going to find them. I personally find it pretty ridiculous that he would need to post press clippings from a local columnist who has nothing to do directly with the program other than covering them for a small-time Provo-based paper to motivate his guys. And if you read the entire article, Franchuck is talking about how BYU was afflicted by a flu-bug the week of the SDSU game.

If this kind of thing had come from a player, that's one thing. No one called Collie a douche for proclaiming that BYU would put a hurt on the U in '04. Collie was the best at supplying bullitin board material.

If it comes from a player/coach, etc., post it. Otherwise, you're grasping at straws.

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

makulit wrote:Patterson's the douche. If the guy goes looking for these quotes, he's going to find them. I personally find it pretty ridiculous that he would need to post press clippings from a local columnist who has nothing to do directly with the program other than covering them for a small-time Provo-based paper to motivate his guys. And if you read the entire article, Franchuck is talking about how BYU was afflicted by a flu-bug the week of the SDSU game.

If this kind of thing had come from a player, that's one thing. No one called Collie a douche for proclaiming that BYU would put a hurt on the U in '04. Collie was the best at supplying bullitin board material.

If it comes from a player/coach, etc., post it. Otherwise, you're grasping at straws.

While I agree with you that logically, if it is not coming from one of the football players or coaches, then BYU has done nothing to provide bulletin board material, I don't think the football players will see it that way. Even if the quote had come from an ESPN, any questioning of toughness has got to fire up a player--at least it would fire me up. I think Patterson is looking for an edge to motivate his players. Logically, it shouldn't motivate them, but I think it will.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Next year, I guarantee you Patterson will be posting comments from this website to motivate his little girls.

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

hawkwing wrote:Next year, I guarantee you Patterson will be posting comments from this website to motivate his little girls.

Well, now that you called them little girls... :lol: :lol:

Then again, maybe that's a way to increase participants here. ;)

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

hawkwing wrote:Next year, I guarantee you Patterson will be posting comments from this website to motivate his little girls.
Next year he'll need to because they'll be even suckier than they are this year!

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Franchuck's article was about the BYU football team battling the flu. The quote is taken out of context and the horny toads can use whatever they want for motivation, if they're not up for this game without a newspaper clipping, it's probably not going to make a big difference.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,