Jerry Hughes

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Jerry Hughes

Post by Mars »

TCU DE Jerry Hughes now has the new MWC career sack record, with 25. He has had 8 so far this season.

BYU DE Jan Jorgensen is now in 2nd place all-time in conference, with 24. But just 2 of those came this season.

Can we stop Hughes in Provo this year, or is the guy going to get more than 2 sacks against us? TCU combined for 6 sacks on BYU in the big game last year (as well as gaining 2 interceptions and 2 fumbles)...

And what happened to Jan? Is his job really just to tie up the o-linemen and make tackles on running plays, allowing the LBs to get all the sacks, or has he lost the ability to beat his man 1-on-1 that it takes to get to the QB?

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Jerry Hughes

Post by snoscythe »

I don't think TCU has the same success this year that they had last year as far as sack go. Two reasons: (1) the sod will slow them down just enough, (2)--the bigger reason is that David Oswald will not be playing at right tackle. Oz is a great kid who gave his all, but his 5 years of football experience and his lack of lateral speed were exposed for the whole world (and 10+ NFL scouts) to see in Ft. Worth last year.

We might give up 2 or 3 simply because Jerry Hughes is that good and the attention he demands opens things up for the other rushers, but I don't see 6 happening.

Sammich
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Sammich »

Is the screen pass we've seen a few times this year going to make any difference for sacks in the TCU game? I know it's usually a blitz counter, but it seems like we didn't use the running back much for quick pass-and-run plays last year and that sort of thing might make a difference when TCU is bearing down on Max.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

I wonder if we might see Hughes pass rush so hard a few times around the outside that it opens up a nice running lane for Hall. I have to believe that this is why we saw so much of it last game, to keep Hughes working on filling a lane rather than going balls out to get around the tackle and into the backfield.

CAFB_04-12
All-American

Post by CAFB_04-12 »

It does seem that BYU has been running more screens and draws. Perhaps this is to counter TCU pass rush.