Of the Position Groups Listed in Which do You Have the LEAST Amount of Confidence?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.

Of the Position Groups Listed in Which do You Have the LEAST Amount of Confidence?

QB
9%
RB
32%
OL
27%
DL
14%
LB
No votes
DB
5%
K/P
14%
KR/PR
No votes

Total votes: 22

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Post by SpiffCoug »

As we continue to see where we're confident and less so for the upcoming season, here's where we stand so far:

Most Confident:
1. ???
2. ???
3. ???
4. ???
5. ???
6. ???
7. ???
8. ???
9. WR/TE (60%)

I'm not sold on any RBs. I think Squally can be serviceable and that the Wiscy transfer (Uloa) could show us something, but I'm not buying the hype yet. KJ Hall is great until he gets touched and then he's down. Maybe someone will step up - especially in the passing game (to include blocking) - but we'll see.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Of the Position Groups Listed in Which do You Have the LEAST Amount of Confidence?

Post by frdbtr »

Oline. We hear every year about how much they have improved and how they are going to finally be good this year. I'll believe it when I see it.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Re: Of the Position Groups Listed in Which do You Have the LEAST Amount of Confidence?

Post by SpiffCoug »

I agree, but at least at OL we're returning some players we know we should some decent to good production out of. Guys like Koroma, Hoyt, and Shoaf should give us some hope going forward.

(8.4x
..................ATT
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

Honestly I feel confident about the QB and the LB's. The rest needs to be proven. They should all be above average, but that's a far as I'll go until we see what happens on the field.

Honestly I can't believe it's taken BYU so many years to find a reliable person to kickoff and especially to kick field goals. I'm okay with Linehan for punting and that's as far as my confidence goes in the kicking game.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

I'm not confident in the RB corp until they prove something.

Next may be QB.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

frdbtr wrote:Oline. We hear every year about how much they have improved and how they are going to finally be good this year. I'll believe it when I see it.
I think the Oline breaks out .... next year. I think we finally have the talent on the roster, but the inexperience of that new/young talent will show this year.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

I would agree with Hawkwing. No one try to bag on me for doubting Tanner, bc I would love to see Tanner have a year at least as good as his freshman year. It should be much better. But Spring scrummage, notwithstanding weather (which didnt seem to phase the other qbs proportionately as bad as it did Tanner) looked almost abysmal compared to what it should have seemed.
I really dont think Tanner looked all that impressive his freshman year. I think that very tall and capable WR group rescued TM alot. He would just throw the ball up and they would go get it. And of course the Hail Marys sweetened that season amazingly well. But i just dont see the accurate passer that won co-champ in the Elite QB camp.
Further, he didnt beat out Taysom on passing stats in fall camp last year, iirc. Which made Taysom an obvious choice given his mobility and strength as a runner--albeit compromised from previous years.
I would actually make an argument that potentially the most offensively productive qb might be Hoge, bc he can run. If the WR are as average as it seems or not coached well or whatever, and if the Olne is average, TM will not be able to save this offense with what we hoped to have in an elite passer.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Sweet! Our first call for the backup QB just 8 weeks before the season!

(8.4x
..................ATT
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

SpiffCoug wrote:Sweet! Our first call for the backup QB just 8 weeks before the season!
The same vote showed up in last week's survey as well.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

SpiffCoug wrote:Sweet! Our first call for the backup QB just 8 weeks before the season!
Ya,,, i guess it sounds like that. It wasnt intended. Im all for Tanner. Hopefully Ty has this O dialed in. The intent was that a running qb has bailed out other weaknesses for the modern era. Michigan proved how beatable BYus pass game was/is, in the absence of WRs who can or dont know how to break free from modern, physical DBs and rules. Having a threat at TE will open things up for wide outs. Just my thoughts.