Dan Coats - Cincinnati Bengals

A way to keep track of those Cougars who have moved onto play in the pros.
Forum rules
Each topic will cover one individual BYU Great in the Pros. Users may reply to any existing topic, but may not create new topics. Feel free to comment on any player, including recaps of performances or upcoming games.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Dan Coats - Cincinnati Bengals

Post by hawkwing »

Current Position: TE
Current Team: Free Agent
Position at BYU: TE
Years at BYU: 2003 - 2006

Media Guide Information

Tight End
6-3, 263,
Layton, UT / Northridge HS

At BYU
SUMMARY: Consistent player for BYU who played in 46 of 48 games in his career ... powerful blocking tight end with good hands ... set a BYU record for receptions as a freshman tight end ... Earned Freshman All-America honors in 2003. SENIOR - (2006): Credited with 22 catches for 239 yards and two touchdowns on the season ... caught three passes for 35 yards and BYU's only touchdown in the Cougars season opener against Arizona ... collected two passes for 26 yards at Boston College ... Against No. 15 TCU, he caught three passes for 39 yards in the Cougars win ... caught a personal season-best six passes for 80 yards in BYU's comeback win over Utah including four catches and a touchdown on one late, fourth-quarter drive to give the Cougars the lead ... provided key blocking for a team that rushed for 1,845 yards (141.9 ypg), 4,206 passing yards (323.5 ypg), and the fourth-best total offense output at 6,051 total yards (465.5 ypg).

JUNIOR - (2005): Earned letterman honors as a junior ... saw action in all 12 games during the season and started four ... credited with 21 receptions for 189 yards and three touchdowns ... had touchdown receptions against New Mexico, Colorado State and Air Force ... averaged 9.0 yards per reception ... averaged 15.8 yards per game ... scored three touchdowns on the season ... had a season-high 39 receiving yards on three receptions against Air Force ... longest reception was a 15-yard touchdown against Air Force (62-41) ... had one kick return for 18 yards ... participated in spring drills.

SOPHOMORE - (2004): Started all 11 games at tight end ... earned letterman honors as a sophomore ... credited with 13 receptions for 160 yards on the season ... averaged 12.3 yards per reception ... averaged 14.5 yards per game ... had a season-high four receptions for 46 yards against UNLV ... credited with a season-high 26 yard reception against Air Force ... participated in spring drills ... recorded two receptions for 30 yards, including a 16-yard reception, in the annual Blue-White game.

FRESHMAN - (2003): Earned 2003 Freshman All-America honors (The Sporting News) ... earned letterman honors as a redshirt freshman ... saw action in 10 of the Cougars' 12 games during the season ... holds the BYU freshman tight end record with 278 yards receiving and 30 receptions on the season ... credited with four touchdowns on the season ... named the Mountain West Conference Offensive Player of the Week after helping BYU to a season opening 24-13 win over Georgia Tech ... had the nation's top performance by a tight end with six receptions for 93 yards and two touchdowns against the Yellow Jackets ... earned receiver-of-the-game honors ... his first career reception was good for a season-high, finger-tip, 38-yard touchdown ... entered the USC game as the top-ranked tight end in the nation ... named the Chevrolet Player of the Game after a career-high eight receptions for 114 yards against third-ranked USC ... his 114 yards marked the most receiving yards by a BYU tight end since Doug Jolley recorded 177 yards against Air Force in 2001 ... credited with a 14-yard touchdown against the Trojans ... averaged a nation's best 103.5 yards per game and 7.0 receptions per contest through the first two games of the season ... credited with three receptions for 45 yards and a touchdown against Stanford ... named receiver of the game by the BYU coaching staff ... picked up 38 yards on five receptions against Wyoming ... averaged 12.6 yards per receptions ... participated in spring drills ... switched from receiver to tight end ... credited with four receptions for 34 yards in three spring scrimmages, including three receptions for 20 yards in the first scrimmage of the season.

REDSHIRT - (2002): Redshirted as a true freshman.

Before BYU
Utah State Player of the Year ... named the 2001 Deseret News Mr. Football ... earned 5A MVP honors as a junior ... led Northridge HS to back-to-back 5-A state championships as a junior and senior ... ranked nationally among top receivers by Student Sports ... USA Today Utah State Player of the Year as a junior ... recorded 2,386 yards and 23 touchdowns in his final two seasons at Northridge HS, including 47 receptions for 1,247 yards and 10 touchdowns as a senior ... led Northridge to a combined 23-2 record during his junior and senior seasons ... recruited by UCLA, Washington, Washington State, Cal, Nebraska and Clemson.

Personal
A native of Layton, Utah ... married to the former Alicia Johnson of Layton, Utah in July, 2002 ... the couple has three children, including a daughter and twin boys ... son of Judy Coats.

Statistics
CAREER STATS

Code: Select all

Yr    No.   Yds   TD   LG
2003  30    378    4   38
2004  13    160    0   26
2005  21    189    3   15
2006  22    239    2   26
TOTAL 86    966    9   38
CAREER HIGHS
No: 8 (at USC, Sept. 6, 2003)
Yds: 114 (at USC, Sept. 6, 2003)
TD: 2 (vs. Georgia Tech, Aug. 28, 2003)
LG: 38 (vs. Georgia Tech, Aug. 28, 2003)

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Dan Coats - Cincinnati Bengals

Post by hawkwing »

Coats is looking pretty good with the Bengals, he's getting a fair amount of playing time, and although he has dropped a few passes, he is making an impact, especially with blocking, on the team.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

3/4/10 -- Bengals failed to tender Coats by the deadline today, so he is now a free agent.

Best of luck to Dan.

Schmoe
Retired

Re: Dan Coats - Free Agent

Post by Schmoe »

He'll get signed by next season. He's got the size and athleticism to block but also can make things happen down field. Good luck!

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Mars
Retired

Re: Dan Coats - Free Agent

Post by Mars »

"The Cincinnati Bengals re-signed TE Dan Coats, who has been with Cincinnati since signing as a college free agent in 2007, the team announced. Coats (6-3, 264; Brigham Young) is a fourth-year player in 2010. His former contract expired after the 2009 season, and he had become a free agent as of March 5. He has played in 48 of a possible 49 games (including postseason) in his Bengals career, with 30 receptions for 291 yards (9.7 avg.). He played 16 games with 11 starts last season, catching 16 passes for 150 yards and blocking for a rush attack that produced a franchise-record eight 100-yard games by individual backs. He also saw action in the Bengals’ Wild Card playoff game against the New York Jets. Coats is now one of three tight ends under contract."

http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127& ... 3492&fhn=1

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

See, I told ya!

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,